OCR02073 - *YES* Castlevania 'You Gon' Get Whipped'

Palpable

Hi guys,

Dhsu here, with my latest track. It's an arrangement of "Prologue" from the original Castlevania that I did for The Bad Dudes' "Jingle All the Way" EP. "You Gon' Get Whipped" is somewhat of a personal milestone, as it's the first time I've produced a track entirely on my own. Normally I only record the MIDI data and have to ask someone to actually add a piano sample and render it for me, but this time I decided to take Reaper for a spin and do it myself. Granted, it was more out of necessity due to putting it off until the night before the deadline (big thanks to SnappleMan for telling me how to use reverb plugins at 3:00am), but it's nice to be a little more independent.

I have to give The Bad Dudes a lot of credit for my musical development in general -- each track I've done for them has given me a chance to experiment with something new. Multi-track recording, punching in, and sequencing entire arrangements were all firsts for me while working with these guys. It's definitely an honor and a privilege to be in the company of such talented and downright awesome individuals despite my comparative lack of musical know-how. I can only hope I reach their level some day.

Hope you enjoy the track.

----------------------------------------------------------------

(Prologue 0:00-0:08 )

Great to see dhsu starting to put together tracks entirely on his own (and sounding just as good as his other tracks on this site), and also great to see another remix from Jingle All the Way that meets the site standards. Listening to the source, I was pretty baffled how someone could turn this into a full-fledged song, but this keeps the source going almost the entire time, with some chord/note tweaks to give the song a direction. Very nice ramp-up into a chorus of sorts halfway through - it's excellent to see so much done with so little.

YES

yeha, this track is all about the intelligent modulations. It's almost like a Russian sounding 12 bar blues, in that it contains a strong motif that is frequently repeated to a great effect. Nice playing and dynamics, and the piano sounds good. Good to hear you are kicking up the production end of your skills. :-)

Very classy and with clear source for a big chunk of this, this is an easy call for me.

yes

Shit dude. You had me at :09 seconds.

YES

EDIT: I guess I could elaborate. You are good at pianos. etc. If I were to give you some advice, You might do a couple things to enhance the realism. I think the volume is a bit mechanical. In particular, the quiet parts aren't quiet enough. Also, the piano sample is pretty good, but you could make it sound better by adding a little more reverb, and maybe a bigger reverb. The ambience you use is nice, but it's a bit intimate. Sounds like you're sitting at the piano. Maybe pull it back to make it sound like you're in the audience instead.