OCR01221 - Mega Man 3 "Intro Jazz"

djpretzel

this is, without a doubt, my favourite remix ever. anyone who'd question the jazz label clearly doesn't know shit about jazz and should get back in their trad box. the intro is a bit reminiscent of some of chick corea's solo stuff, and the whole melodic style reminds me a little of hiromi's stuff (a former student of ahmad jahmal, a little tidbit for the jazz heads). the flute (or wooden flute, which it sounds a bit like) playing is fantastic too, very earthy and rootsy.

sublime.

IMHO, the genre doesn't really concern me, however the content is awesome. This being a game I actually fried a T.V. for playing too long (back in them good ol' NES days) I was compelled to download this. I was very pleased with this mix. The flute and drums mesh with the piano extremely well, and create something of a genre that I'm not all that familiar with. All things considered, this mix is definitely at the top of my list.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I like it up to 1:23, where it actually sounds jazzy. Then it goes all animal planet mode and... I don't know, it sounds too much like an extended animal planet commercial to me. Seriously. It's not necessarily bad because of that, but I just don't... like what's going on here.

I spose I'd give it a 7/10, since my taste in music doesn't reflect the majority, and I suppose I have a bias against things that sound like they'd come from my TV set when I'm channel surfing.

• 2 months later...

A Good Job. That´s what I say.

The Good News

Very good arrangement. Nice pool of instrument's. The first piano part I liked very much. The changing to the flute and soft beating was great: it shows a fine musical sense, and sensibility. You have a future on the thing...

The Bad News

It´s sad to know that you have done only this lonely mix. :cry:

Tell me whem you make one more nice mix. I´ll be glad to hear it. :wink:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This definately one of the best songs I've heard submitted here. The use of the pan flute was a perfect way to let the music flow. This is definately one of the best songs out here, if you don' believe so, I will fight you. (Ok, so I stole that from Anchorman, :P)

• 4 months later...

It's been 4 months since the last review of this piece, but I felt I just had to add another one. A few weeks ago we celebrated a birthday for a very good friend of mine, and one of her friends wrote some very fun and clever lyrics to this piece, and sang it for about 15 of us. I won't post the lyrics here, mostly because I don't have them, but also because they're most likely meaningless to those who aren't "in the know."

As djp mentioned in the write-up, there are some recording issues with the piece, but they also give it character at the same time. By default, live recordings always impress me much more than SoundFonts and drum loops, and in this case make the pan flute all the more impressive to me. I'm reminded of a few tracks from the Xenosaga II soundtrack actually, which is a personal favourite of mine, so bonus points to this mix. This one has a special space on my hard drive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I feel this remix is unique to the others, in the fact that it's not as conventional, as say, about half of the Chrono Trigger remixes. I really enjoyed the transitions and everything, and being a musician myself, I have to say: One day, I will attempt to top that. :3

The feel of the song rivaled that of classic ReMixes, such as "Enter the Frog". My suggestion: showboat more. Everyone likes to hear showboatsmanship on an instrument you're fluent with. Polyrhythms <3.

Though at times, the song felt a little repetitive, redundant. I realize that song is like that, owning the actual game, but around 2 and a half minutes into the song, it just repeats for about a minute. Perhaps you could have inroduced new themes, maybe?

Of course, I shouldn't say anything. I haven't actually made any remixes of submitted any. I'm picky. :mrgreen:

• 5 months later...

Wow, the only true negative about this piece is that it took me so long to run into it, absolutely amazing stuff. The clipping on the intro piano is mildly bothersome, but even through my headphones it's never even close to deal-breaking. The flute playing is superb, and the percussion quite possibly the best I've heard on this site, certainly if you discount percussive parts given the focus. Excellent, if you somehow don't have this yet (like I didn't) definitely give it a listen.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi there,

I'm Zoltan - and I recorded this remix a couple of years ago. My friend asked me to remix this Mega Man song and I send it to him. He told me that he submitted it to this website but in the last years I traveled around a lot and I never really kept track of this particular recording. I just searched my name on google and found this link.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. It makes me happy to see that the "live" feel is greatly appreciated.

The way I recorded this mix was with one little keyboard where I played all the instruments in seperate tracks in real time. At the time I had very "limited" resources available so I had to work with what I had available.

I hope I will have some time to make some more remixes in the future - if I do I will post them here as well,

peace,

-Zoltan

• 4 months later...

Sweet, he wants to post more remixes on here :)

I'll be honest, I personally think this is the single best rendition of this source on this site, right now. I just love the jazz sound that's in it, and it reminds me of the many times I've played the theme myself on the piano, but this takes the theme to a whole new level.

Great piano, tasteful flute, great drums - this is some sweet, sweet music. If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and download it.

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01221 - Mega Man 3 "Intro Jazz"