The "Ice Cap" of a game.

duskvstweak

So, I was reading the posting for "Brambles Open Minds Like Bubbles" and I liked the comment that the source tune was the Ice Cap for DKC2. We all know that there are songs like this (Terra) that just get covered more than others.

My question is, what source to you find to be the Ice Cap for other games?

My personal answer is "Gerudo Valley" from Ocarina of Time, not because it's a bad tune (I love it) but because there's so much more soundtrack to OoT.

Your thoughts/suggestions?

So, I was reading the posting for "Brambles Open Minds Like Bubbles" and I liked the comment that the source tune was the Ice Cap for DKC2. We all know that there are songs like this (Terra) that just get covered more than others.

My question is, what source to you find to be the Ice Cap for other games?

My personal answer is "Gerudo Valley" from Ocarina of Time, not because it's a bad tune (I love it) but because there's so much more soundtrack to OoT.

Your thoughts/suggestions?

As far as Ocarina of Time goes, Gerudo Valley may be remixed a bit, but I disagree that its the "Ice Cap" of the game. Song of Storms, now THAT is the "Ice Cap"

I kinda thought the same thing when I was reading the writeup for that DKC2 remix yesterday, irony being that I never played Sonic 3 so Ice Cap doesn't really mean much to me. "Brinstar Red Soil Area" from Super Metroid is the one that I instantly think of, followed by Wily Stage 1 from MM2 (both already mentioned of course, cause really, who wouldn't think of those as well). Schala's theme has that reputation of being "the most mixed source ever," but I'd be curious to know if it actually is or not.

Lately I've also started to feel like "Vampire Killer" from Castlevania is making its way up the list as well, but I haven't looked at actual numbers.

I kinda thought the same thing when I was reading the writeup for that DKC2 remix yesterday, irony being that I never played Sonic 3 so Ice Cap doesn't really mean much to me. "Brinstar Red Soil Area" from Super Metroid is the one that I instantly think of, followed by Wily Stage 1 from MM2 (both already mentioned of course, cause really, who wouldn't think of those as well). Schala's theme has that reputation of being "the most mixed source ever," but I'd be curious to know if it actually is or not.

Lately I've also started to feel like "Vampire Killer" from Castlevania is making its way up the list as well, but I haven't looked at actual numbers.

Well, I know Vampire Killer is associated with a goodly amount of remixes on OCR, if nothing else.

For the first Phoenix Wright game, it'd have to be "Objection!" (or "Objection! 2001" if you need to be precise). I'm guessing this also refers to intra-series references as well as the general remixing frequency of the song?

...There ARE some games where this is unfair, though. "Bubble Bobble" only has one song, so of course that song will be the Ice Cap.

lol

Hmm... can't have this thread without mentioning Wily Stage 1 from MM2.

I was mentally "humming" a rendition of Gerudo Valley in my head as I read the thread, and upon reading your post it seamlessly transitioned to the middle of Wily's theme and several seconds went by before I even noticed ><

As far as Ocarina of Time goes, Gerudo Valley may be remixed a bit, but I disagree that its the "Ice Cap" of the game. Song of Storms, now THAT is the "Ice Cap"

I disagree, I think Song of Storms could use more coverage. It and Gerudo would be tied, so I don't think either of them is deserving in that case. We are talking ICE CAP here, and I don't think either of those themes totally overshadow the others from the game.

Corneria for Starfox.

I was going to disagree. Then I realized this is totally correct. There's a few good mixes of it here, Strike911 has covered it (amazingly) twice...I even have a WIP I have been chipping away at for the last 8 months :-) Therefore, I must agree!

Glad MM2 Wily 1 was mentioned... but how could MM3 Intro not be mentioned? Let's see... on this site alone, nine remixes?

MM2 Wily 1 probably gets an Ice Cap, but I think the intro would get it for MM3, though with 9 mixes, it deserves a mention.

Sidenote: The remix of MM3 Wily1 on the Trance Addicts VGM Remix Album is the best remix of this source. Its amazing. That album is old now, but it still kicks some serious ass, if anyone wants it, I can certainly seed it, just let me know.

OKAY, now on to my contriubtion.

Chocobo's theme is the Ice Cap of the Final Fantasy Series. Yes it is. Yes.