OCR01229 - *YES* Kingdom Hearts 'Above the Rising Falls' *FT*

Protricity

What up.

I submitted a song back in mid-April. Thing is, I managed to forget to add the url to the mp3 in the submission email. :oops: So I get a reply from djp around early to mid-June telling me this and I reply to that email apologizing and giving the url. I've not seen anything of the submission since.

Perhaps sending that url by e-mail was a mistake. Guess that was equivelant of submitting all over again. Or maybe it got overlooked entirely. I dunno. Just figured I'd use a "fallthrough" on this one, since I consider it my best work yet (and I want to have the first KH remix on OCR if possible). :D

So here we go again.

This is a Kingdom Hearts remix of the "Hollow Bastion" theme, with traces of the "Destati" theme as well. Of all my work so far, this is the remix I am most proud of. I tried to create a really epic sound with this track. At the time I began work on it, I was listening to a lot of SuperGreenX originals and the "Pirates of the Caribbean" OST, which may explain the genre blend a little bit.

Speaking of SGX, I need to give due credit to Mr. Adler for helping me to master this remix. Whatever he did, the remix sounded a heck of a lot cooler after he finished with it. So thank you, Sir GreenX, for your assistance.

Here's the tag info if it's needed.

Title: Above the Rising Falls

Artist: sephfire

Game: Kingdom Hearts

Year: 2004

Thanks a lot for this. If there's any problem, please let me know. Keep up the good work over there. :)

etc, etc.

Pretty cool stuff overall. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Kingdom Hearts' OST, so I'd really prefer for someone to verify the arrangement content ("Hollow Bastion", with some of "Destati"). I know it's all good though. The piano in particular could use some more realistic dynamics, but the way each note had practically the same velocity, the piano sounded strong in its relative spraseness.

Kind of ironic that this mix and destructo's FF8 mix "The Lost Horizon" essentially have the same intro. The string, drum & piano build until the 90-second mark was excellent. Once things picked up at 1:49, especially with the piano coming back at 2:03, everything conveyed pretty frantic, suspenceful imagery.

The lack of realism on the sample dynamics could be thought of as a negative, but I thought that added a certain character to the piece that clicked for me. Compositionally, everything is paced well, resulting in sensible builds and a quality flow. It makes me wanna buy Kingdom Hearts so I can whoop somebody's ass with Donald Duck.

Good job by my man SGX with the mastering here, by the way. Everything's sounding pretty nice. I'm all about the YES on this one. Can't wait to have you swing by WMRE to guest host VG Frequency this coming school year, sephfire. It'll definitely be happening. Good work, Dan!

YES