Cave Story - The Angels of Hell: A Running Hell remix WIP

UPDATED Final Mix Attempt 1: "The Angels of Hell"

Here is my first attempt at a final Mix of "The Angles of Hell"

stats.png

Not completely happy with the result; the Short flute notes at the beginning sound 'odd', I think some of the EQing is off, and maybe I need to add some compression here and there.

I think I'm done the the composition part of the song and now I need to work on the actual production... the part I am least good at.

So all help is welcome!!!

The music is based on the Wii and original version of Cave Story.

Sources:

Scorching Back:

Main Theme: [url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX9feeYHL1c

Running Hell: [url=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1VTkwllQ8Q

Thanx

RR

In my personal opinion: So far, so good.

The bass parts MAY be to be a little toned a bit (or cut down a little on their reverb), but that's just me.

The intro was good, and I like (for the most part) how the instruments sound.

Keep on fine-tuning things and cleaning things up, and keep on this general path, and you might have a pretty cool mix going here.

If you're going for OCR, like I said, the intro is good, but you'll need a few more parts that are yours, if that makes sense. Your own take, if you will.

Really nice work, no complaints except for the piano right at the end, for me it just seems a bit sudden and out of place, maybe it's just me though

I noticed the same thing. However, I am giving the guy the benefit of the doubt that since this is a WIP, there will be more of the song later dealing with the piano, or he'll fit it in better earlier or something.

I dunno, lol.

Jeebus. O_O I... I...

very clean sounding samples.
Slick arranging and slick samples.
Well done.

Yeah, I just quoted myself. What about it? Wanna fight?

;-) J/k. But seriously, wow. You've got an amazing WIP right here, especially given that it's less than a day old. The only comment I can mirror that might give constructive criticism is

no complaints except for the piano right at the end, for me it just seems a bit sudden and out of place, maybe it's just me though

Really nice work, no complaints except for the piano right at the end, for me it just seems a bit sudden and out of place, maybe it's just me though

That Piano which was at the end is now gone.. It was only a temporary place holder. No new version posted thou, I'm waiting till i get something more substantial gone.

For those not familiar with the sources, I added some links to the first post in thread.

RR

Hey... Impressive.

But I think you can do better. Work on tone of your instruments. What VST are you using? I this EWQLSO? I think your strings are what give it away the most. The highs (especially when playing really fast) are very synthetic sounding. The really low instruments sound best when grouped... Try not to expose the more unrealistic instruments, group them. It's really about working with what you have.

This problem is pretty standard, it's extremely hard to get a better sound out of high/fast strings like that... I'd recommend experimenting with many different samples and keyswitches, as well as trying to basically wring out as much realness with active parameters. If something's not really working, try another technique.

Your mids sound great. I also like the timpani, and the chromatic lower violin parts.

Anyway, that's the best advice I can give... It's a little vague but hopefully you can get what I mean.

Good luck!

Not gonna go into full-on feedback mode, but I will say that your strings sample is sounding unrealistic here, both in articulation and sample quality :\ Might want to look at that yourself or get a second opinion on how to improve that, if you decide you're not content with it as-is.

That said though, your arrangement is soooo good :-D Loving this, this is some very creative, inspired, and highly cinematic orchestral that I can definitely enjoy. Hope this makes it onto the site at some point!