Cave Story - The Angels of Hell: A Running Hell remix WIP

I will say that your strings sample is sounding unrealistic here, both in articulation and sample quality :\

I think I have figured out why, or at least part of the reason.

I'm using ESQLSO Gold XP Pro for all of the samples in the song and I have recently confirmed that, as I expected, I have been using the sample library to (maybe) 40% of it's full potential. I have found a 123 page manual for the library and I plan on getting into more of the finer points of the program before I put out a final version of the song. I am also unhappy with the over use of strings and lack of much else (brass for example) in the song, as well as many of the cymbals need to be removed/altered/fixed.

So that being said, the song has a bit more work needed yet and I hope I can make it sound a bit more realistic. If anyone has any experience in fine tuning ESQLSO Gold stings, any help would be great.

RR

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I did some major upgrading to my sample library and also started looking at new ways to make the instruments in my songs sound more 'real'. I know I said the last version would be the last WIP but I decided to keep making improvements to the song.

Here is a quickly thrown together version,

stats.png

Some changes have already been made since this version was mixed including:

-changing the intro string arrangement AGAIN

-humanizing and changing the piano section.

-fixing the clipped part at the end.

I think your strings still sound bleh... But they are certainly better than your last version.

I think maybe you could do well with more filling out your upper mids with those clarinets plz. Woodwinds rock. Group group group. Overuse of the strings has kind of made certain parts sound more naked overall.

Arrangement is still excellent.

Also it's weird for me to say this consider how much I say the opposite, but I actually think just a little more reverb on basically everything could help with the atmosphere immensely. Realism may come via a more realistic atmosphere, and if everything sounds too dry then it will also sound too exposed.

That piano needs some decay/reverb/relese... It's way too plinky... Mess around with parameters please. Please put some reverb on it, I would really prefer for it to sit back and some more like it's playing somewhere with the orchestra. Right now it sounds really out of place, way too dry. I know that's hard because you want it to come out at certain parts, so you're really gonna have to work hard with where it sits.

I think I hear some clipping in the fifteen seconds before the fake ending, check your brass. Before you bring in teh chiptunz. Also I think your ending is kind of strange in general lol.

Anyway this was very ambitious, and I know you are probably sick of this song by now, but please don't stop improving it! Good luck!

I think your strings still sound bleh... But they are certainly better than your last version.

I think maybe you could do well with more filling out your upper mids with those clarinets plz. Woodwinds rock. Group group group. Overuse of the strings has kind of made certain parts sound more naked overall.

Still working on them :) I'm gonna tinker a bit with the equalization a small bit and a few other settings. I still have to set up keyswitches (changing the way the certain notes are played; up, down, accented, etc, for certain sections.

Also it's weird for me to say this consider how much I say the opposite, but I actually think just a little more reverb on basically everything could help with the atmosphere immensely. Realism may come via a more realistic atmosphere, and if everything sounds too dry then it will also sound too exposed.

Right now, I have added ZERO reverb to any of the instruments, all you hear is what was recorded naturally with the front mics when the guys from EWQL made the samples. When the arrangement is totally completed, I'm gonna go back and mix in samples recorded from mics at the back of the hall (surround mics) which can give lots of natural hall reverberation. (I upgraded to the "platinum pro xp" version of EWQLSO.)

That piano needs some decay/reverb/relese... It's way too plinky... Mess around with parameters please. Please put some reverb on it, I would really prefer for it to sit back and some more like it's playing somewhere with the orchestra. Right now it sounds really out of place, way too dry. I know that's hard because you want it to come out at certain parts, so you're really gonna have to work hard with where it sits.

Of all the instruments, the piano needed the most work, especially in the section where it is more exposed. Still working on it.

I think I hear some clipping in the fifteen seconds before the fake ending, check your brass. Before you bring in the chiptunz. Also I think your ending is kind of strange in general lol

The major clipping has already been fixed.

I'm still toying with ideas for a proper ending, as the chiptune bit is more of a joke then anything. When I submit it, that part will not be there. That being said, I'm still not happy with the way the main song ends as is.

Sick of the song? hahaha! It always takes me a long time to finish a song, especially now that I'm trying new things to really add some realism to the song. Thanks for the advice Mono, I think it's helping!!

RR

• 2 weeks later...
Here is my first attempt at a finished mix of the song I've been working on..

awesome mix, i love it, personally i dont really think its needs much, maybe a little bit more bottom end, but that could be my speakers

dont mind the underlines if they appear, it wont let me turn them off....

• 1 month later...

Your final mix is under 8mbs, right? The final post you've got isn't under 8mbs, so if you didn't fix that then that's a technicality that'll throw you off the panel...

Other than that, this is a really good orchestration. I suspect some of the mechanical feel is intentional, so neat effect, there. It sounds quite vicious and in your face. I love the Cave Story theme thrown in there periodically.

Good luck with the J's :mrgreen: