Zelda II - Cave/Battle Remix

youthboy

ORIGINAL SOURCE:

So I just recently listened to Iron Maiden's CD, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son. Although the main thing I like about Iron Maiden is the heavy metal parts of the songs, I really enjoyed the acoustic parts on the CD.

And then I played some Zelda II. As well as being one of the best NES titles ever, it's also one of the most underrated. After going through the battle areas (which I always reffered to as caves, even though sometimes you went through forests), I thought to myself, "Hmm...I could turn this into an acoustic-centered song!"

As I had recently gotten Fruity Loops, I did some effing around. I said that it would be acoustic-centered, but I was planning on having other instruments as well. That didn't quite work out. So I modified it to be an acoustic-only. It was relatively simple, as there are only 3 tracks, and it only took me 2 days to get to what it is now. It's my first official song from FL.

Yet I feel like there needs to be more. It clocks in at only about 2 minutes, 5 seconds. So I'm thinking of adding the Boss theme from the game onto this, as the songs kinda sound alike.

Enough of the story bullcrap, though. So as this is my first REAL remix, I'm curious as to what you guys think. I'm new to FL, so I don't expect you guys to think of it as a masterpiece. If you do, then whoopie. If not, fine by me. Critizism is my friend.

The song's broken up into 3 parts, which last nearly 40 seconds each.

0:00 - 0:40 is the main bass line.

0:40 - 1:21 adds the rhythm track. In the original source, it isn't entirely noticeable.

1:21 - 2:06 adds the final piece. This is the main instrument you here in the source.

LINK:

img.php?fid=772

Looking for a song name, please.

So...there ya go. Catch ya on the flip side!

you have a long buildup... I really don't mind it - the bass line has a simple entrancing effect. but you gotta explore the theme a bit once you do finally build up. You can try weaving it into the boss theme and then weaving back, see if the themes work together as countermelodies, try a new or modified melody on new the bass / rhythm, do an a/b section thing, etc.

The guitar sounds fake and mechanical - try to work on the timings and the velocities to give it a more human sound.. and probably find a new sample. Ideally, you'd want to find someone to play it for you. Things also get pretty muddy with the reverb. Maybe try playing the melody an octave higher (sounds like it should be within the range of the guitar) to give it some space in the mix, though this would probably be fixed by working on the reverb, humanization and stuff.

I forgot how much I enjoyed this piece from Zelda II.

So in a nutshell, you're saying that the song starts out nice, but once it hits the other sections of it, it loses some of it's luster? Because if you are, that does make sense.

Now that you've mentioned it, the build-up is somewhat longer than it needs to be. I could trim the build-up a couple of measures.

About the weaving in and out of the boss and battle sections, that's actually a nice thought.

The reverb...I don't know what happened with that. I'll see what I can do about that.

I wouldn't say it loses it's luster; it's just that you gotta go somewhere from here. A build can be good/liked, but that doesn't make a whole work good. It is a bit long, yeah, but you'll figure it out... just keep working on it. I have a ton of wips I am.. lazy about, lol. Mostly it's because I don't know where I want to go and what I want to say with the music - if you have those ideas in mind, it might help.

I like it, but then again i like any remix with a guitar. :D

I like the way you did it. Its a lot more melodic and moving now. I agree that the long intro/build up kinda takes away some of the power of the track though. Once the main theme of it kicks in, its really cool. Of course, considering that its a live recording of 1 acoustic guitar, it sounds really good.

Ya know, now that i heard this, i gotta make a remix of this theme for myself, lol.