Music, and Computers

Khoregard

I realized the majority of you listen to the video game music of the games your playing as you play them, but then I thought to myself, "Self! You do not listen to computer game music when you play computer games, as you have so much more music already playing!"

So I ask, with no small amount of anticipation, what are some of the songs that get your gaming groove going when you listen to stuff published by non-VGM artists?

I generally play strategy games or shooters on the ol' PC, so to that effect I love listening to classical or instrumental music like Apocalyptica or the Kronos Quartet for the former, industrial anger-filled audio like Nine inch Nails or Psyclon Nine for the latter. To name a few.

When I play computer games, I tend to have remixes or original boss/battle themes playing, regardless of what game I'm actually playing. Something I can nod my head to even if I'm not entirely thinking about it, while trashing my enemies. <3

Edit: I actually think I'm not as good on the wii (though none of the games have given my problems) because it's hard to override the wii music with my headphone music without losing the ability to hear certain attacks/cues.

Depends, usually I listen to the soundtrack to a computer game I've been playing atleast for a bit before I switch it off. What I listen to depends on what I'm doing in said game.. MMOs I usually listen to something laid back and jazzy.. usually remixes from here set said mood.. A little Pat Methany also sets me into a relaxed grinding mood. But it's all at what I want at the moment. Usually remixes in the end as I'm not overly fond of lyrical based music, something to mellow to whether it's jazzy or something more upbeat is what I prefer.

I used to mute games and listen to basically any kind of music I had. The strangest was when I was playing FF6 and listening to Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart. I felt guilty about that, though...I mean I obviously like FF6's music a lot, I just felt more like I needed to hear non-game music at the time. I'm less like that now, unless the game has music that doesn't leave much of an impression on me or it's a game where I've heard the music a billion times (like super mario world hacks or something). Then the music I listen to is generally less about what fits the game and more about what mood I'm in at that moment. It can be interesting to have, like, a very contemplative time playing Mario or something.