OCR00353 - Mega Man 2 "Bubble Man (wants to get) Funked Up"

Saunders

Mega Man 2 'Bubble Man (wants to get) Funked Up'

I was never fond of the Bubble Man theme, but I am fond of this mix. Fond indeed.

The sample used at the beginning seems to have a bubbly feeling to it. And it's used all throughout the mix I believe, except during the short break about halfway. High quality mix, I love it. Recommended.

• 1 month later...

Why, again, is there only one review of this mix? Even if the review feature was installed later, this one deserves heaping amounts of praise. What with the multi-layered instruments and such, and the fact that such a simple theme could be transformed into 4 minutes and 21 seconds of delicious bubble man action. Not reccomended, required.

I'm just now listening to this for the first time. I'm not quite sure how I missed it. This is pretty great. But the greatest thing about this piece is how mellow it is. All of the music is quiet and smooth while still delivering a bit of the urgency of the original theme. Overall another great piece of work from Disco Dan.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a great one from DiscoDan, and one of my favorite Mega Man remixes to date. It helps that I really like the Bubble Man theme, but whatever...

The instrumentation is solid, and the drums kind of lay down a nice beat while the melody does its thing. It's very pleasing to listen to, which is one of the reasons I'm glad he made this one in the 4-5 minute range. I wouldn't say it's the best ever remix, but it's one that I quite enjoy listening to.

• 6 months later...

Let's call this one 7/10. At first, I found this mix uneventful and unremarkable. My opinion hasn't changed that much since then, but I like it now. :? This one uses the length to its advantage and slowly moves across the entire 4:21... it just takes a while to get into its groove. Once it does hit that groove though, it's a mighty good one. The especially MIDI-ish sounds at the beginning were a big turn-off for me, but the rest of it's a good listen.

First I have to say I have listened to all the MegaMan 2 remixes today, and Disco Dan is one of my favorite remixers.

Which leads to the BubbleMan(wantstoget)FunkedUp remix. Overall I have to give this a 9/10. The overall remix I feel was done perfectly, from the beat to the synth. I've been looking for some good NES music remixes and I am glad I found this one.

8)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Very nice arrangement. Very nice sound choices (I don't really like the sound used for the hits, though, but they are only heard in the beginning, around :45). Very nice pads around 1:10+. Nice, tasteful solo around 1:30. Love the 1:50 drums and the 2:10+ counterpoint solo. Love the "bubbly" melody sound at 2:30. The rest of the song is fantastic. Very moody. The ending is VERY nice. Top quality remix with enough old school credit to make one feel fuzzy inside.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Disco Dan, you're incredible. I wish you were more active in the community still...

Anyways, this mix is incredible. I was hooked within about 2 seconds of my first listen. That synth/sample just pulls me right in.

The overall flavor reminds me of late 80's or early 90's television for some reason, though I can't think of anything specifically. But I love it. Then that phat little beat kicks in, and the song settles into a nice, mellow groove for the rest of the way.

I can't say enough good things about this mix.

9/10

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Indeed this is an awesome track.It sounds like what the level music might sound like had megaman 2 been done in a more modern era.

Funny side note,You can rap "DQ Blizzard" by Mc Chris nearly perfectly with the begining of this beat.If you know the words try it,I did and now every time i think of this song i think of that song.

Bubbleman rules though.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Really like the square lead in this re-mix.

The only thing I find annoying is the snare. That patch is WAY overused in remix, and I really don't know why. It doesn't sound cool. It only serves to announce "this is a remix..."

But I like the varying melody the remixer does in the saw-tooth. BEAUTIFUL countermelody. And I like the variance in half-time. Good stuff.

• 2 years later...

There are a few songs that got me into OCR, and this is the frontrunner, along with AE's Soap and Water, and Ziwtra's Willed Assault. Great synths chosen for this, and nice sections as well. There isn't a ton of additional material here, but it's such a great rendition of one of my favorite themes, for me personally it doesn't need to reinvent the wheel.

Nostalgia bias +100

Disco Dan is my hero.

• 4 years later...

Like OA, I'm a fan of this one for the same reasons. "Soap and Water" grabbed my attention more, but Disco Dan's more relaxed take here was definitely a classic that helped me get into the site in 2002. Having not played Mega Man as a kid, this was yet another piece that proved to me that I could no longer skip anything OCR had to offer. :-)

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00353 - Mega Man 2 "Bubble Man (wants to get) Funked Up"