Workshop Discussion and Guidelines (read before posting!)

halc

• 1 month later...

Concerning there being too many pinned threads, we're working on consolidating them and making it all nice and pretty. There's a few outdated things we're editing out as well. Progress! Behind the scenes, sure, but... progress!

In the mean time, because we might need them after they're locked and no longer pinned, buried deep in the wip board, the links to the currently pinned threads:

http://ocremix.org/community/topic/21300-workshop-discussion-and-guidelines-read-before-posting/

http://ocremix.org/community/topic/9599-the-wip-feedback-checklist-read-before-posting/

http://ocremix.org/community/topic/36265-meet-the-workshop-mods/

http://ocremix.org/community/topic/37017-if-you-are-awaiting-mod-review/

http://ocremix.org/community/topic/25339-attn-one-thread-per-song-one-song-per-thread/

http://ocremix.org/community/topic/20869-workshop-modmod-review-faq-read-this-before-using-mod-review/

• 4 weeks later...

While working on consolidating the threads (a lot more work than I expected, but we're mostly done), I brought up the question of the term "workshop moderator", and found that we're not actually moderators for the whole workshop. I had assumed we were. We used to have mod powers for it all. In light of that, I proposed we change the term to avoid further confusion. With a new term, the term "mod review" doesn't quite work. Besides, the term "review" is a bit of a misnomer anyway.

We're considering the terms "eval", "evaluation" and "evaluator" as potential replacement terms. But since this is where those terms would be used, we really ought to discuss it here too, before going ahead with any big change. I'd update the mod review link to include the new terms, and probably let the link still contain mod review search terms after the transition.

Thoughts? Is eval a good replacement term? Better ideas? 

--

For those wondering about our progress, the posts are written, I just want approval from the higher ups on staff to go ahead with the update. The threads not concerning mod review are pretty much ready. The threads concerning mod review still need this new term sorted out.

We're also discussing tags a bit. I'm working on a post for the general wip board info thread on tags and prefixes. I don't think we'd do much else but to provide a post of best practices regarding tags and prefixes, but if there are any great ideas beyond that, do let us know. How do you guys use tags and prefixes? How do you think they should be used? Could tags be used better? Could staff make tags better somehow?

Not a fan of just 'eval', 'evaluation' on posts and dedicated or assigned 'evaluators' work a little better, but it also comes off a little as judges before the judges.  Maybe just 'approved helpers' or something more innocent sounding.

Maybe 'covers' tag for people who just wanted to cover a song and not worry about rearranging it, and a 'just for fun' tag for people not looking for critical feedback.

I like "eval" because it doesn't feel as formal as "evaluation". One of the issues I've had with how this board has been handled is how formal things from staff often feels. Not from mods, but from other staff. My reservations about the checklist and other stuff stem from that aversion to formality.

The terms evaluation and evaluator are a bit on the formal side, too, so I'm biased towards the short and sweet eval. Short, especially. Hence why I don't quite like the term "approved helpers". Also because it makes us sound like little elves or something. Eval lends itself well to the term "eval team", which has some of the connotations of the wip crew. That's a great term, but it should remain unofficial.

"Cover" as a prefix is a little tricky because it doesn't say if it's a completed cover or a work in progress. I'm not sure we need a distinction between the two, but cover overlaps a bit too much with either "finished" or "wip". Prefixes mainly exist to let mods (or the eval team, or whatever we are) easily identify remixes flagged for mod review (or eval or whatevs). Other prefixes are really just to let listeners know what to expect and what kind of feedback to offer... and knowing something is a cover rather than an ocremix candidate _is_ helpful to listeners. Could be good to have, could be ambiguous and confusing. Not sure.

"Just for fun" is a cool idea. It might lead to floods of throwaway stuff being posted, so we'd have to watch out for that. But I don't see a problem including it in the list of recommended prefixes.

Of course, that's considering them as thread prefixes. For tags, anything goes.

Eval is one vowel away from seeming like your constructive criticism is just an excuse to bitch slap a person for their tune =P

You could just go with a capital letter E, or even É , just something to differentiate an evaluator from someone who isn't.

I guess covers as a tag would work then.  What's wrong with a flood of throwaway stuff being posted though?  Is no activity better than poor activities?

The problem with throwaway stuff is that getting feedback on it doesn't benefit the remixer as much as something they're actively working on. The problem with floods is that it pushes other people's work further down on the board, leading them to post floods of their own or bumping their own threads without an update in order to get them closer to the top. Neither is a huge problem, but it could get annoying.

Not sure you were around at the time, it was a few years ago, but we had a remixer post iirc 10 remixes, following the one-remix-per-thread rule, thus creating 10 threads and flooding the board. Hence the one-mix-per-thread sticky. This week, I saw two users post three mixes each, in sequence. Not a problem, but if more users did the same, it could become one. The goal of the wip board is to get feedback on your works, not to post as many as possible. We've lost that feedback culture we had earlier. I'm hoping we can get it back. If we do, then it won't matter so much anymore how many posts we get, since there should be enough feedback to go around.

Capital E means nothing unless people know what it stands for. Eval, at least, doesn't yield any plausible results in the dictionary besides evaluation-related words. I don't think the term eval invokes evil. It'd be nice to get some more responses on this, but if there aren't any other objections, we'll just bear in mind that we may have to remind people in official posts that eval stands for evaluation/evaluator.

Capital E means nothing unless people know what it stands for.

That's the beauty of it.  I think back to Super Mario Bros 3 and this little item http://www.brainygamer.com/.a/6a00e39824440288330167624757c4970b-pi and how I didn't know what exactly the P means (power or power up I'd guess), but it obviously means something more or better.  Same with the E, it's something important and if someone new doesn't know they can ask, get an answer, or they can figure it out on their own.

I can see where you're coming from with the flood posting then, but I feel that's so few and far between the majority of the time that isn't an issue.

Yeah, floods haven't been a problem. That one time with ten or so threads by the same remixer is the only one I can remember where I was looking at the board and being like "ei näin" (basically "no, not like this").

Pre-eval has the problem of having a hyphen, or dash, or whatever that line it. It means that when a mod clicks the pre-eval prefix of a thread, only the threads with a prefix spelled the same way will show. No dashes. Preferably no spaces either.

Capital E alone is also very short. The prefix shouldn't be very long, but a single letter makes it harder to notice, harder to click. While other prefixes (wip, album) communicate the state or purpose of the thread, a single E means nothing. We're not doing a single E.

Any other objections/suggestions? 

--

With this, the thread is now retired, and we have a new one.