The Most Useless Peripherals In Gaming History

nintentard

No mention of the EyeToy? It had gimmick written all over it. Not to mention the novelty wears off quite fast.

I'm actually surprised they didn't go after the 3-D glasses for the Master System. They made you look like a dork with their "old people sun glasses" design. Of course, they also worked and had some genuinely fun games made for them, but given how few games there were...

I didn't bother reading the OP linked marketing sham, but I'll touch upon the ones I remember:

1) Gyromite showcased a miniature version of Johnny 5 that helped you keep the good doctor alive in his hellish pipe dreams. Too bad my allowance at that age couldn't keep his E-tanks full :(

2) You wanna talk about gimmicky peripherals? N64! You don't need to look farther than the controller... I mean come on whats the point of the D-pad in 70% of the games. Gaming never gave me blisters until Mario Party 2 on N64.

3) I was ultra-stoked when first word of a multi-player Zelda reached me.... until I learned it required 4 GBAs, 4 copies of the game, and 3 $%$^*$%#^#$%^& Link cables! I mean COMON! (said like Gob)

4) Nintendo Wii requires periphery due to the design of it, but the one that irked me was the first party "zapper" gun mount for the Wiimote and nunchuck. It really only worked for rail shooters like House of the Dead, and for those, it worked wonders. GL in games like Resident Evil 4 though... better off saving your cash.

5) Game-specific keyboards have been available on the market for your various forms of MMO-crack, whichever flavor you favor. They all serve the same purpose. A fool and his money are soon parted. If you need a graphic printed directly on your number pad to tell you what the key does, then I hope to PvP Vs You in the near future. =-)

I don't understand the hate people have for the Wiifit board. Granted I've only tried it with a rabbid rabbits game (they crack me up over there at Ubisoft) but I thought it was the cats meow!

I got some heavy firepower for you: the one and only Ascii Super L5!

sfc20ascii20superL5-01.jpgsfc20ascii20superL5-02.jpg

One day I forgot I had left the turbo on. Ended up erasing all my Chrono Trigger saves in the blink of an eye.

Good times...

I wanted one of these because you could play games with one hand and take notes or talk on the phone with the other. This was back before all RPGs came with built in dungeon maps and auto stat previews for items.

I wanted one of these because you could play games with one hand and take notes or talk on the phone with the other.

This was back before all RPGs came with built in dungeon maps and auto stat previews for items.

I actually played through a few Snes RPGs with the SL5 (until the incident). And for the most part, it was ok for that kind of game.

It took me about a minute to figure out how to use it..but I think I'd like it for some games. Or, at least, a similar peripheral with better ergonomics.

Funny this is, I had a friend who managed to beat the crap out of anyone on Street Fighter 2 Turbo with this.

Needless to say, loosing to someone who plays with just one hand is a defining experience in the life of a man. :lol:

• 6 months later...

Although the DDR pad was mentioned you forgot its predecessor: THE POWER PAD.

My neighbor had one of those and it NEVER. FUCKING. WORKED.

Not to mention you look like a douche trying to play Mega Man 4 by stomping on a giant plastic button that doesn't do anything. It was better off as a cat toy.

Not to mention you look like a douche trying to play Mega Man 4 by stomping on a giant plastic button that doesn't do anything. It was better off as a cat toy.

Why would you want to play a game like Mega Man with anything other than a controller anyway?

You shut your whore mouth. There is nothing wrong with the Power Pad :| The one your neighbor had was probably busted, because my friend gave me his a few years ago and it works just fine.

Why would you want to play a game like Mega Man with anything other than a controller anyway?

Because it's entertaining to watch.

Notice how there are no light guns on that list? It's the one thing I miss that none of these new motion controllers can replicate. Light guns are as close as you can get to shooting, since they are based on visual feedback from the screen. Nothing on the Wii, Kinect, or the Move will ever be like the old light gun games.

I disagree with this

resident evil 4 Wii edition is better than a lightgun imo

I'm not saying motion control schemes are bad, but the simple fact is you can't use the controller itself as an aiming device, since you have to point it at the sensor/camera/whatever instead of at the TV screen. The whole draw of a light gun game is that you can look down the barrel of the gun right at your target, just like a real gun.

The 4-player adaptor for Game Boy was utterly worthless. There were only a small handful of games for it, and to use it you needed the adaptor, four link cables, and four people each with a copy of the game. 8-O This last part is especially stupid because it came packaged with F-1 Race, so in order to play that game with four players, you'd have three more adaptors than you needed.

One time my three other friends and I who had bought F-1 Race decided that even though the game was awful, we were gonna play it with four players just to say we had. We set it up and it was really uncomfortable because those link cables are so short - I think the adaptor was hanging in midair in the middle of us. We also had some initial connection problems, possibly related to the hanging adaptor. We did one race then called it quits.