Split/Second

Cerrax

So has anyone played this game? I played the demo and was instantly in love. This game seems to be everything that I felt was missing from Excite Truck on the Wii.

Basically as you race you have to collect points and then use those points to trigger traps along the course to make other players crash. The demo certainly gave me a bit of a rush, especially when using the in-car camera. I'm probably gonna pick it up tomorrow.

At one point I had someone land a plane on me. I was flying down the track and thought, "Boy that plane ahead seems to be flying pretty low". A few milliseconds before impact I realized it was trying to crush me. And it succeeded.

EDIT- Apparently it's not out until Tuesday. My bad.

The things you could do in game were pretty awesome, but the demo just lacked personality in my opinion, something I think a game like this really needs. Burnout will inevitably be compared to the title, and Burnout's in your face, personality filled presentation really fleshes out its crazy racing experience. Split/Second, while it has some really awesome effects and the gameplay is fun, I think it could have benefited from a more over the top presentation. They have a really serious and overtly "cool" presentation, and while it's slick to look at, I really think it hinders the game as a whole. The game is about a reality TV show about racing and blowing things up. I guess if there's a game that can have over the top cheese injected into it, its this game, but its missing from the title. The title is cool, but ... it almost feels as if its taking itself a little too seriously.

The game just doesn't ooze personality like other lesser titles do, and that upsets me. It could have just been the overly filtered and low volume music though. That would have helped. I certainly would like to see what the final product plays like. :)

It is definitely interesting. The first time I saw the plane crash and the air traffic control tower fall I giggled in delight. The sheer level of action going on in the background of all things is intense. It was a nice change of pace to see things going on around the race, rather than only on the roads. Nifty.

Nice to see destroyable levels too. I love that...

I agree pretty much with what you've said. The game does seem to take itself a little too seriously, but maybe that's a little on purpose since it is imitating American reality TV? (which by the way if not for the low polygons on some of the objects on the track, you could swear that it was a TV show, even the title screen looks like the opening to a sports show. They really nailed the whole high-budget extreme sports show angle they were going for) Honestly I'm definitely going to turn the music off if at all possible in the real game because I already have a whole playlist of awesome tunes in my computer for racing games. Can't wait for Tuesday.

So I've already completed the first 4 episodes and my favorite mode so far is survival or air strike. The races are fun, but survival and air strike are just pure adrenaline! Anyone else completely hate the detonation mode though? It's too meticulous and it sucks that I'm missing out on some credits because I only have second place on a few of the detonation modes :/