*NO* Final Fantasy 8 'One for Rinoa Heartilly'

Palpable

ReMixer name: ilp0

Game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy 8

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Eyes on Me

ReMix:

I made this mix one summer night at my band's training place.

I missed my last bus home and was forced to spend a night in a tiny room full of instruments and warm beer and pretty much nothing else there so I picked a VG song that first came to mind ("Eyes on Me" for some reason) and started jamming tracks to our 8-track recorder. This is the result. Silly track but I've kind of started to like it afterwards so I thought I'd give it a shot at OCR.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Eyes on Me

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really nice feeling track that takes a few detours from the source, including a pretty extended passage, but in my opinion, still remains pretty grounded in the source. Also, the Mario 2 cameo at the end was cute. :-)

The bass is pretty low in the mix, but it's still audible, and I feel the choice to push it back works out to make this even more breezy and fun. This is the ultimate seaside cafe music, and i can already imagine a warm breeze blowing while i'm served a refreshing beverage. Everything else is audible, well panned, and nicely balanced.

Performance was strong, and everything is clicking for me. Some judges might have an issue with the extended original section in the middle, but this track checks out ok by my estimation; excellent work! :-)

Yes

0-0:26 - Eyes

0:26-1:35 - Original

1:35-2:00 - Eyes

2:00-3:12 - Original

3:12-3:35 - Eyes

3:35-3:44 - Mario

Now here's a fun debate to revisit: This is sitting at roughly 33% of source usage. However, the piece does keep coming back to the theme and, while the sections are fairly separated, the style and consistency makes the song feel like there is more of the source in there than there is. Based on these two reasons, along with the style adaption as well as because it's a nice and fun song to listen to, I'm inclined to say yes, despite the low amount of source.

I wish, however, that there had been more allusions to the source in all that original stuff. If that had been done, I would have felt more comfortable and been much happier giving this a pass, but I think it's there as is. Good luck with the rest of the vote, this is tough one.

YES (borderline on source usage)

• 4 weeks later...

Not much debate about the musicality of this piece. This has got some great performances, and I love the intimacy of the instruments. Sounds like I'm sitting three feet away, preferably sipping a hot cocoa. The parts that do incorporate "Eyes on Me" are creative, but c'mon guys. We're talking about 2/3 of the song being completely original, doesn't use the chords, nothing. "Hot Pink of Blues" used the chords at least. I can't pass off on this.

NO

I actually don't think there's a bass at all. The "bass" sounding notes I believe are just the guitar.

As for the source, I know this is unexpected coming from me, but I've got to say NO. A bit too loose with the source. I'm okay with jazz form head-solo-head but this strays a bit far and lacks..eh...direction.

Nice tune though.

NO

• 1 month later...

Adorable track. The Eyes on Me melody works in the style, the writing is pretty good, and the production is nice and clean. I was tapping my toes, fun stuff.

I'm with the NO voters, though, this strays too far for too long. The source adaptation was good while it lasted, though.

NO

This is a really nice feeling track that takes a few detours from the source, including a pretty extended passage, but in my opinion, still remains pretty grounded in the source.

Some judges might have an issue with the extended original section in the middle, but this track checks out ok by my estimation

Except, that would be wrong.

0-0:26 - Eyes

0:26-1:35 - Original

1:35-2:00 - Eyes

2:00-3:12 - Original

3:12-3:35 - Eyes

3:35-3:44 - Mario

Now here's a fun debate to revisit: This is sitting at roughly 33% of source usage. However, the piece does keep coming back to the theme and, while the sections are fairly separated, the style and consistency makes the song feel like there is more of the source in there than there is. Based on these two reasons, along with the style adaption as well as because it's a nice and fun song to listen to, I'm inclined to say yes, despite the low amount of source.

Awful reasoning. "It sounds Final Fantasy-esque." Well, congratulations, now any similar sounding track deserves to be considered a viable ReMix with that kind of slippery slope.

The source material must be identifiable and dominant.

When nearly 2/3rds of the track has little-to-nothing to do with the source, the source material is not dominant. It felt like it was being paid lip service and that's was it.

Deia's breakdown was pretty much mine. I had :02-:26, :37-:40, 1:35-2:00, 3:11-3:43 as areas of source usage. That was 84 seconds out of a 3:43-long track, so about 36.7% source usage. The source tune's not even close to being the focus here.

The track, of course, sounds great in a vacuum. However, YESing this would be arbitrary and completely inconsistent with the guidelines.

NO