Game songs that have real life mimics (Or vice versa)

Oh man, I love this stuff. Always fun to hear where inspiration can come from. I have quite a few examples:

- They're not THAT close, but there is some similarity. The Mega Man series has a ton of inspiration from other songs, it seems.

Mega Man X3 Neon Tiger vs. My Michelle by Guns N' Roses - This one is pretty much discredited by Kinuyo Yamashita (the original composer), but it is strange just how ridiculously close these two are to each other.

vs. Black Ice (solo) by DragonForce - Definitely intentional.

Winning Run from Super Hang-On vs.

- Another intentional example. Apparently DragonForce are huge game fans.

- Unconfirmed, but gotta be intentional.

Fight On! from Final Fantasy VII vs.

- Listen to the chorus in the Metallica song.

vs. Carnage Rules by Green Jelly - This probably doesn't really count since the song was written specifically for the game, but it's still interesting.

vs. The Mob Rules AND
by Black Sabbath - The core of the tune from Maximum Carnage is definitely a straight up rip of Mob Rules, while the solo is at least inspired by Children of the Grave.

vs. Looks That Kill by Motley Crue - Different key, but the intro of the MMZ3 track is particularly similar.
I wanted to have the REM / Elecman thing linked here, but youtube is being a "an error has occurred" bitch and I can't check if the video I found is good.

Well, here,s the video I found, dunno if its good :

I've always preferred the

. It's definitely closer.
is also pretty awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Megaman X3 Neon Tiger and My Michelle are not a coincidence.

Neon Tiger is a heavy remake of flash mans theme, imo.

Listen to Flash Mans theme from MM2, and then listen to my michelle, particularly the intro.

Also, listen to Maybe I'm a Lion by The Black Mages, and Highway Star from Deep Purple. The two end solos are the same, the black mages one is just speeded up. Also, the second track of that Deep Purple album is "Maybe I'm a Leo".

HMMMMMMMMMM.

Lest we forget that the original Tetris for the NES actually used "Dance of the Sugarplum Faeries" from the Nutcracker as BGM...

And also, for the mention of Sonic 3 Ending/Stranger In Moscow...the reason alot of Sonic 3's music can be traced to Michael Jackson's songs is because Michael Jackson produced the soundtrack, it was confirmed by his producer shortly after his death...the only reason his name wasn't on the product is because he was dissatisfied by the sound that the Genesis produced, so he opted to have his name stricken from the game, he later reused some of the samples from the game to make other music...an example is Ice Cap Zone, speed it up, and you have the chord progression for Smooth Criminal.

Also, listen to Maybe I'm a Lion by The Black Mages, and Highway Star from Deep Purple. The two end solos are the same, the black mages one is just speeded up. Also, the second track of that Deep Purple album is "Maybe I'm a Leo".

HMMMMMMMMMM.

Considering Nobuo is a huge fan of Deep Purple and even brought in Ian Gillian for one of the battle themes in Blue Dragon, this really isn't that much of stretch.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
vs. Looks That Kill by Motley Crue - Different key, but the intro of the MMZ3 track is particularly similar.

I've heard lots of MMZ themes having a bit of coincidence to real songs, mostly classic rock. I'll see if I can find them again.

Found the one I was looking for:

Gravity from MMZ 2:

Kashmir from Led Zepplin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKtfjsonPFE

Just like yours, the intro sounds close to me. Dude on YT noticed it as well.

• 3 weeks later...