Game songs that have real life mimics (Or vice versa)

I played Debussy's Passepied from Suite Bergamasque (the same one with Clair de Lune) Great piece, but when I grabbed a copy of Dragon Warrior for the NES, the overworld melody struck me as very similar to the opening of this piece. The first few notes are almost identical.

Dragon Warrior Overworld: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULQW-6AdugA

Debussy Passepied:

Definitely similarities. I love both of them so much :)

My question to you guys is, do you think it's ok to do this? Is it OK for Dragonforce to play the entire Double Dragon theme during one of their solos? I personally think that they should all be accepted. That's how music used to be a long time ago before we all became copyright crazy. I wanted to use a little loop from the Chrono Cross opening in a the opening of an otherwise completely original metal song, but then just because I was worried about what people (and the law) would think, I changed it. And then I find out that Dragonforce played Double Dragon? Damn it! :)

Do you think this is ok?

My question to you guys is, do you think it's ok to do this? Is it OK for Dragonforce to play the entire Double Dragon theme during one of their solos? I personally think that they should all be accepted. That's how music used to be a long time ago before we all became copyright crazy. I wanted to use a little loop from the Chrono Cross opening in a the opening of an otherwise completely original metal song, but then just because I was worried about what people (and the law) would think, I changed it. And then I find out that Dragonforce played Double Dragon? Damn it! :)

Do you think this is ok?

Honestly? It's not much farther from what we do here. But the whole "making money off blatant ripoff" is a dicey issue.

Music has issues where sampling from other songs results in a bit of cannibalism in the recording industry, and Nintendo is so skittish about getting attacked by them that they have held back on the Earthbound/Mother series (among other reasons, of course, but the music is figured to be one of the main ones). It doesn't surprise me that, if these artists were taking music from a game composition, the VG industry wouldn't want to fight back, especially in their current post-FarmVille state where a major copyright lawsuit is the last thing they'd want to deal with (and where a fair number of game soundtracks are now being directly provided by the music industry - don't bite the hand that feeds).

And, aside from the whole "Gee, this sounds familiar" thing, the VG industry would still need to prove this was happening. You still need a slingshot to fight Goliath.

In the end, the overlap between people who listened to song X and who play game Y isn't that heavy. In fact, it's almost exclusively limited to people posting in or referenced by this post (and similar posts in other VG forums). Even if both parties were aware this was happening, it's not a battle worth fighting.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

When I was a kid, I'd frequently start humming Final Fantasy 4 - Prologue, and shortly thereafter wonder when I slid into The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Epilogue (Beautiful Hyrule)

Also, these three all have a fairly long section that's very similar:

Pokemon Blue/Red - S.S. Anne

Tales of Symphonia - Colette (and slow version, "It is Sad")

OC ReMix 1049 - Song of the Mountain (Chrono Trigger) by Urza

• 1 year later...

I'm digging this one back up from the depths of forum purgatory to post

. Koji Kondo was clearly inspired by this when writing the Zelda soundtrack, especially with the dungeon theme pretty blatantly using the riff at 2:00. I'm also getting a bit of a Link to the Past "Hyrule Castle" vibe during the orchestral break.

Of course, this just makes me want to hear a Deep Purple-inspired remix of the Zelda theme now.