Castlevania ~ Lords of Shadow

Schwaltzvald

Made a recent search on another game and decided to take a look at Castlevania ~ Lord of Shadows. While there had been a couple of videos out for it there were not much information about it; aside from it being released on both current systems. (so no console squabbling okay?)

I'd never imagined that it's seriously going to kick start a "reboot" of the Castlevania series.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is an upcoming video game in the Castlevania series, and is a reboot of the franchise. It will be an action adventure game in a fantasy setting in Southern Europe during the Middle Ages. The game is being developed by MercurySteam and Kojima Productions to be published by Konami in 2010. Hideo Kojima, producer of the Metal Gear Solid franchise, will be involved with the title, albeit in a small role.

The game was originally announced as Lords of Shadow with no connection to the Castlevania series mentioned. According to Konami this was to keep their plans to radically change the direction of the Castlevania myth a secret

There were a number of prototypes in parallel development competing to continue development as the next Castlevania title. Konami chose the pitch for Lords of Shadow. The original concept for the game was to remake the first Castlevania starring Simon Belmont, but it was later decided to make a reboot of the franchise. Lords of Shadow still draws inspiration from earlier titles in the series, most notably Castlevania for the Nintendo Entertainment System, and Super Castlevania IV.
draws inspiration from earlier titles in the series, most notably Castlevania for the Nintendo Entertainment System, and Super Castlevania IV.

FUCK YES!

what does that even mean, "reboot the franchise"? I feel like i'm swimming on some buzzwords here.

I'd almost compare it this time in terms of comics. How they'd start a series all over again; a redo/remake would be my guess to it. They plan to keep the original series seperate...

WAIT WHAT THE HELL WE WON'T SEE THE EVENTS IN 1999 THEN?! NO JULIUS ADVENTURE?! FFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Ah well I had little hope of them actually exploring that bit...

Reboot the franchise = create an alternate universe for it (a recent example is the live-action Star Trek directed by J.J. Abrams).

Often that also means discarding things that were previously held in the series as tradition.

I don't really follow Castlevania much but I know people who are huge fans and might not actually be thrilled with the idea of a "reboot".

So that's why I was prepared to come in with a whole bunch of vitriol to crap all over this. But, but look, they hired REAL ACTORS.

well that's depressing. i mean, if I had a ps3 or a 360 I'd buy it anyway, but I'd still be griping about it.

mm.. it's not like Order of Ecclesia didn't do that anyway. I know the point of the villagers all being Belmont descendants ties it back to the canon, but it was so loose: I hardly cared by the time I found out while playing.

I generally dislike reboots. On the other hand, I don't really keep track of the Castlevania series story, I just enjoy the stories of a few individual games, so in this case I don't really mind.

The trailers so far seem really cool, I'm keeping an eye on this game.

• 3 months later...
Perhaps but this is after the fact of some reviewers(?) having actually playing the first, eight hours(?) saying it was pretty good.

Wait you didn't like MGS3?

no what the hell dude, this looks fucking awesome

hype isn't necessarily a bad thing

I was also hella pumped for MGS3 and watched the trailer daily for like a month

hence my comparison

no what the hell dude, this looks fucking awesome

hype isn't necessarily a bad thing

I was also hella pumped for MGS3 and watched the trailer daily for like a month

hence my comparison

To be fair I first read that as MGS4 and connected that with the earlier statements considering the flak that MGS4 got for the cutscenes. :lol:

When I reread that seeing MGS3 I was all "WAIT WHAT!?"

But yeah I've already had preordered the special edition.

Seems like if you do it with amazon, you'd get a $20 off any future game purchase.

Or so I saw it when I placed my preorder.