Castlevania ~ Lords of Shadow

Schwaltzvald

I'm noticing some strange changes.

For one thing it's Castlevania: Lords of Shadow not "Lord of Shadows".

Also North America and Europe is getting its release on October 5th and 7th respectively while Japan sees their release around December 16th.

...What?

Yeah, the title has always been Lords of Shadow.

And as it is developed in Spain, Europe and America will get it earlier.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's out now and in my case Amazon's supposedly preparing it to have it sent to me, now to wait till Oct 12...

FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I actually enjoyed playing Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness (aka Castlevania 64:Director's Cut), and Lament of Innocence despite the seemingly horrid layouts...

I missed out on Curse of Darkness and skipped Judgement though have played it at a friend who got a copy for cheap...

I'm hoping it will be as much "fun" as I have had with C:LoD & SCIV...

*minor spoilers*

I got the game yesterday, I just finished Chapter 4, and I absolutely love it up to this point.. I dig the tons of features they've put into the battle system, and the fact that they haven't gone overboard with nr. of battles taking place.

As for the music, it's got its effect and it carries the emotions of Gabriel and his situations well, BUT I'll have to say it's got the potential of being the worst Castlevania soundtrack to date.

*SPOILERS*

Alright, finished the game. I had some mixed feelings throughout the game, but I enjoyed it from beginning to end. I can now say it's a great game truly worth getting. The story could have done a bit more out of itself but certain twists made me think wooooooooooooo that's sweet.

The soundtrack is very bland and sucks donkey balls compared to previous soundtracks. It's Hollywoodish boring crap that doesn't stick with you even if you try your hardest lol. But it does the job well, like most other new-age movie soundtracks. Where did the sweet theme based soundtracks for epic games go?!?!? Oh well. Still... buy this game :)

Again, it's a true shame they didn't keep up the Castlevania music tradition :-( oh well....

As I expected with the soundtrack. I'm tired of the oversaturation of Metroidvanias, but I will always enjoy Michiru Yamane's contributions, especially some of the jazzier pieces. But of course, when Konami wants to turn Castlevania into another "AAA" blockbuster game, they have to throw all creativity out the window.

Fucking Hollywood conformity.

To be honest, the soundtrack did fit the tone of the game extremely well. But they used full orchestration, which can end up sounding the same again and again if care is not taken to let smaller parts take place. Unfortunately for all of us, there's no sound track mode in the game, so I can't go back and listen to individual charts.

Yes, that's the general problem with video game music of today. It's much more important that the music "fits" the game rather than being good. And game designers tend to have a very narrow view on what exactly fits. I recall virt ran into this problem when he was scoring one of Ubisoft's TMNT DS games.

What fits is ultimately what we make of it. All those old Italian spaghetti western composers didn't use electric guitars and all sorts of quirky shit necessarily because they thought it would fit, they did it because it sounded cool, and in the end people loved it so much it became the established standard for what a western "should" sound like.

Yes, that's the general problem with video game music of today. It's much more important that the music "fits" the game rather than being good. And game designers tend to have a very narrow view on what exactly fits. I recall virt ran into this problem when he was scoring one of Ubisoft's TMNT DS games.

What fits is ultimately what we make of it. All those old Italian spaghetti western composers didn't use electric guitars and all sorts of quirky shit necessarily because they thought it would fit, they did it because it sounded cool, and in the end people loved it so much it became the established standard for what a western "should" sound like.

Great points. We're in a time where creators are afraid of utilizing music to its fullest potential. They are so afraid of people complaining about the music that they choose to go neutral so that anyone can listen to it without saying neither THIS SUCKS! nor THIS RULES!

Or perhaps people are just uninspired because of the large amount of products being made nowadays, that they just look at it as a common job.

- Who cares, just make it fit what's on screen BS.

I especially think a Castlevania game should make the music AWESOME at the same time as making it fit like the previous games did.

And if you guys know what I mean, what's up with the recent Hollywood lick going: du du di di du du di di du du di di du du di di ... This ritual literally makes me sick, I think Hans Zimmer came with that shit, and now everyone follows.

Ive been playing in small chunks when i have the free time. For the game itself? it's definitely a step up from previous 3d Vania efforts. The combat system feels tight and fluid and generally works pretty well. It feels a bit TOO GoW (God of War? Devil May Cry?) style for my taste, but its done well. The graphics are really special, my G/f wont let me play the game unless she can watch it because she's so dazzled by the clips and special effects, they definitely put some graphical love into the game.

My biggest issue with the game i think is that it feels a bit too linear, and granted, im not finished with it yet, but im really surprised they followed a level-by-level formula rather then an open-ended sandbox/world theme, that definitely seems to fit castlevania's style WAY more, this feels like action action action plot plot plot.. It just doesn't have the same feel to me.

As for the plot, it seems solid enough, i just haven't explored the game far enough to really comment on it...

I enjoyed the music while playing through the game, it fits well enough, but absolutely NOTHING is memorable, no classic castlevania or anything like that, I wish developers would learn - the music behind the original series is one of the reasons why gamers love castlevania so much. Incorporating songs - even if its just as like a bonus feature or something is just huge. Hrm, i might have to bust out my Castlevania remix folder and see if i can play to that ingame.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-11-castlevania-los-sequel-confirmed

There's going to be a sequel to Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, and Spanish developer MercurySteam has apparently already begun work on it.

Oscar Araujo, composer of the game's soundtrack, jovially broke the news to Spanish radio. He said, "If you liked the first [game], hope that the second is even more spectacular," Eurogamer Spain reported.

It was common knowledge that Konami had developer MercurySteam at work on a new game, but until now only speculation pointed to a Castlevania sequel.

Araujo went on to say that Konami had asked for a "rough" and "aggressive" score to contrast with the series' "effeminate" old image.

Konami has offered Eurogamer "no comment" on the news.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow was released here last week. The game managed high scores - 8/10 here on Eurogamer - and went on to place sixth in the UK all-formats chart.

Guess it sold enough for Konami to want to continue it.

Man ooh man ..

It took a while for me to really get into this game.

But damn it's so good. Haven't finished it yet though.

But well on the way ..

I have to say sometimes it feels like 2 different teams have worked on this.

Some of the level design feels a bit poor .. same goes for the camera work.

Others feel superb. But overall REALLY fun game to play. Especially going towards the end the story really starts to get a hold of me.