Cubase

Basically, what do you know about it? I've done a lil' research but I can't find anything that helpful, how does it compare to reason 4? And add anything else you might know. Worth the cash? I have a bit saved up, need to burn it!

Cubase is phenominal.

Personally, I use Sonar because that's what I learned on, and I work much better and freer in the layout I'm used to, but Cubase is freaking great. It's very stable in comparison to other DAWs and compatible. You should PM SnappleMan about the built in plugins.

In Reason, you can't actually record or process audio files without another addon, Record. I use Reason as a ReWire sometimes for its synths, but even then, I find myself using Komplete far more often. I also don't know much about Cubase's built in synths.

But yeah, Cubase is definitely a high standard - I'd even say it's as standard as ProTools, and definitely as powerful.

Eh, for music software, it's not that bad price-wise. And the fact that it has a full mixing suite (I'm not sure about its synths) adds sweetness to the deal.

I like the synths... the Monologue synth in particular is my favorite. I like the 70s Lead. Check dat one out. $500 seems a little steep. There might be a smaller version that is cheaper for individuals, but who knows what they cut out. Probably stuff that you want to have.

First off, Cubase is affordable. Anyone with a job can get $500 to spend on something they'll be using for a long while. Anyway, Reason and Cubase don't really compare. Cubase is a DAW (digital audio workstation) where as Reason is more a synth\sequencer.

Cubase is made for complete music production, meaning, the focus is just as much on recording/processing audio as it is on using MIDI and virtual instruments. Not only that but it's designed for real mixing and mastering (and no, using the "mastering" plugin in FL or Reason doesn't count).

If you're used to the Reason interface, you'll be completely lost in Cubase (at least for the first few days), but eventually you'll get used to the workflow (which I think is great). Your absolute BEST bet is going to Steinberg.net and also searching for Cubase on youtube. You can get a demo of Cubase 5 on the Steinberg site (which you'll have to buy a $30 key for, but they refund you if you don't want to buy it after your trial ends). If you don't know what a DAW is, there's no real way to explain it in words, at least no way that'll compare to actually getting your hands and mind around it and working in it. Think of it as a virtual recording studio with unlimited tape and musicians that never get tired or pissed.

I like the synths... the Monologue synth in particular is my favorite. I like the 70s Lead. Check dat one out. $500 seems a little steep. There might be a smaller version that is cheaper for individuals, but who knows what they cut out. Probably stuff that you want to have.

Logic Studio also costs $500, Sonar costs $500, Reason & Record costs $400. As far as professional audio software goes, Cubase is pretty much in a comparable price range as many other programs.

If you're not sure you want to splurge on the whole system, there's a "cheaper" version of Cubase out there which probably doesn't include a few plugins and allows you to record fewer things at the same time.

bLiNd and Rayza also use Cubase so it's seen some use in this community. In fact you can see a bit of the interface if you check out Rayza's screencasts. That'll give you a sense of what it looks like.

I used to use Reason, and then I went to Logic. As far as programs go, Logic is much more similar to Cubase than it is to Reason, and I found that there were a few advantages with Logic over Reason personally. The biggest one of course is the availability of VSTi/AU plugins; if you're serious at all about making music then the expandability and the ability to specialize through VSTi is pretty mandatory. On the flip side, Reason is an extremely popular and capable program because of the fact that it's efficient, has a really good sound, and is relatively easy to start learning with. Reason's default sounds are extremely good, and the versatility you can get with Reason's synthesizers is unparalleled.

Overall it came down to two things for me: interface, and expandability for choosing Logic Studio over Reason.

bLiNd uses Cubase? Neat. I thought the song mode in FL Studio would be a bit easier for that kind of thing. Maybe Cubase has something like that but I haven't found it yet. I haven't used Cubase for trance or anything and any parts I've had to repeat, were copied and pasted.

Yeah this stuff is expensive and if you're going to be using it a long time, you should buy it, especially if it has those free updates. I thought $500 was a lot because I don't make that much money. If you've got a dependable source of income then, nice job. Pun intended. :-P

Cubase is used to create audio!

Worth the cash? Maybe if you're a studio that stands to make a lot of cash in return.

haha, what

No, seriously, I know y'all like 16 and this looks expensive, but making music never has been cheaper, and $500 is nothing - NOTHING - compared to what you'd have to pay for something comparable 10 years ago, or 20.

Besides, the included plugins are the cherry on top, it's enough to start with Cubase 5 Studio - the smaller version - and load yourself up with the freeware floating around. I'd trust any 3rd party company to do a better job - they don't have to spread their talents but can instead focus on the best sampler, best analog emulation, best hybrid synth, best EQ or best reverb - instead of having to do it all.

Also, check out Presonus Studio One - made by some folks who quit at Steinberg and started for themselves.

edit: to show how thoughtless calling "$500 for Cubase only makes sense if you're a big ass studio" is - see http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MercuryNat/

Cubase is bloody pocket change and any studio with plugins like those would either run ProTools HD, and otherwise Nuendo, the cooler older brother of Cubase that does more and costs 4 times as much.