OCR00132 - Deflektor "Laser Dance"

Deflektor 'Laser Dance'

Mr. Dodgers exposes us to a very happy blippy but cool mix from the game Deflektor. Ok panning here, quite a large amount of bass, and a good choice of instruments. Quite a few changes here too, although I probably would have preferred a few others to mix the song up a little more. It's a good listen, it's got fairly good mixing and the overall sound quality is pretty good. Synth orientated. I can't really think of anything else to say. Good work Chuck!

• 8 months later...

Sounds like something that would be on remix.kwed.org

Nice stuff going on here. Good chiptune. Variation is great until the middle, then everything from the first half seems to be used somewhere until the outro of the song which is a fadout including an unheard-from-the-other-parts-of-the-song loop. Not something I'd rush to my computer to quickly turn on in desperate need of me-inspiring music.

Chuck Dodgers...weird name...weird music selections...his bomberman one is a lot catchier and sets more of a video game style of song rather than something more professional, which this mix seems to be to me, like some 80's band who would happen to do a chiptune remix or something.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Inexplicably one of my favorite mixes on the site, this is like deep fried macaroni and cheese, hold the macaroni, and with extra cheese. I think the part that really appeals to me is the syncopated space in the bass synth, and the smooth transitions between the sections. Just a note that syncopated bass can defeat any sort of evil or win the prize in any sort of reality TV elimination show without even trying ( I would never exaggerate this for any reason).

There is also more going on besides just a verse chorus verse, with a post chorus, bridge, and then a variation on the chorus. The synths are old school but effective, and the drums aren't incredibly exciting but they do the job just fine.

Highly recommended.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Deflektor! I guess after repeated exposure to Zero Division's arrangement for this same source earlier this year, you might expect me to look towards the other one in due time. :wink:

In comparison to ZD's glam rock effort, what we have on the other hand is some kind of subtle rave, though the melody interpretation feels significantly more conservative - a riff of the theme, before going to the C-tuned and G-tuned breaks for the finish, complete with a weak fadeout for the genre. The chippy synth writing and way of manipulating the backing synths give in some life for its time of release, though these days they could be seen as that bit more minimalist. Panning and levelling is pretty good for its time as well, though personally I would've thought that lead synth string could've had more of a presence or had its attack cut to make it stick out moreso.

Basically, there's not a lot to see here if you're open for interpretation, but if you're a fan of the source and just want something that sounds fun, then I see no problem with you going for this one. I even think it sounds pretty decent too considering it's a 2000 release, so major credit there for its lasting appeal in that department :)

• 2 years later...

Gotta say, I like the energy and the attempt to bring in the party electronica feel to this source with the mix. It is fun to listen to, but there are points where it repeats a little too long on a section. Sorry, but I'll have to stick with the other mix of this source this time around.

He just sent in the original song "Deflector" from the band Laserdance (which was also used in the game)!!

So this is no own created remix !!

As far as I can tell, this claim of plagiarism is unsubstantiated.

Just noting for anyone who reads this that there's been literally no documentation online about Ben Daglish's copying/plagiarizing from the band Laserdance.

Laserdance's entire catalog is listed on Discogs, and there's no song named anything similar to "Deflector".

/shrugs

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00132 - Deflektor "Laser Dance"