OCR02068 - *YES* Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island 'Mr. Stork! May I Go Home...'

Liontamer

Contact Information

Remixer Name: Iggy Koopa

E-Mail: iggykoopa@gmail.com

User ID: 8972

Submission Information

Game Arranged: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Song Arranged: Ending (http://ocremix.org/song/274)

Remarks:

This is a piece I wrote after about a month of listening to nothing but Sigur Rós and I believe it shows rather clearly. I was aiming for an ambient/dream pop sort of sound with this, but I'm fine with whatever it is now.

The song is in 6/8 time rather than the original 4/4. The tag says "2010" but it's lying; it's really 2009.

And that's all I have to say for now. Decide whether it's worthy, judges.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Yoshi's Island - "Ending"

• 3 weeks later...

YES.

.... Oh, you wanted a proper vote? k.

I like Sigur Rós, and this reminds me of Sigur Rós (That's VICTORY ROSE for all you english speakers.) Although the style of the mix isn't what I'd call very similar to their style, the gentleness and harmony certainly mimics the mood of their music. I actually think this remix sounds more like something from Rayman.

The acoustic guitar is very pretty, and well produced. The reverb is nice, the light compression on it isolates and broadens the crispness of each of the strings.

The piano is light and does its job in the background, every now and then striking a note of dissonance to bring us to appreciate the clarity of the guitar even more. The swells are gentle and keep the key-changes noticable and pleasing to the ears.

My gripe, and yes it is a gripe, is the percussion. It's so weak and bland. I don't mind that it's subdued. This mix doesn't cry for loud drums or overbearing percussion. But the way it's mastered makes it sound very far away, like it's being played outside a window compared to the rest of the music. The reverb on the snare needs to be dulled a bit so that it doesn't have that lingering hiss.

Other than that. This nice minimalist mix works well. I know these sorts of mixes usually don't fly well with the judges, so I expect them to be more harsh. You know what my vote is.

Edit: Two other small things. I hate the name of the mix. and I really think Erik needs to drop the childish "Iggy Koopa" name and pick something either a little broader, or just go with his actual name. He's said to me he wants at least one mix to be posted to the site under "Iggy Koopa", which is fair enough given how long he's been trying. Beyond this one mix (if it passes) though, I'd really like to see Erik come out of his shell (geddit?) and emerge as a more respectable and professional mixer in the scene. He has the talent for it, and his work deserves it.

I agree with Lee on pretty much everything. I love the overall mood, and at times this brings a Kakariko Village feel to mind. The intimate feel of the mix is very well done, and the production is very good. While I'm not so dead set against the percussion as Lee is, I can see where he's getting at, especially on the snare. The far away placement is a little strange as well, though I honestly only noticed it after reading his vote. Certainly not something that's going to change my vote.

YES

Sorry if I am ruining expectations by not being harsh, but I love this mix.

It's like a lot of the animal crossing music, where it's beautiful melody and harmony, but the synths aren't gentle enough to handle it properly. The change to 6/8 was an excellent call, and the sounds chosen were perfect. I didn't think the drums added much, but I also don't think they really detracted. Sortof a strange situation where they just add a pleasant backing texture, and i'm fine with that.

no issues with me passing this one, nice work. :-)

Yes

This is the way to use a decent-to-bad guitar sample. It's produced and sequenced well, and the fake quality is pretty masked. It barely matters that it's not a real guitar. I really liked how gentle and minimal this song is, and while it might not be everyone's cup of tea, it suits the original very well. The reverb settings are nigh perfect, the trails you get on everything are realistic and lush and fill out the empty space beautifully. Snare was the weakest point, but still not much of one - in a song like this, the percussion should stay out of the way. Let's go with it.

YES