Doopliss Remix

FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS: http://www.box.net/shared/0zu4kqsc9f

(remix of Doopliss Encounter and Doopliss Battle)

Originals:

DOOPLISS ENCOUNTER:

DOOPLISS BATTLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTdlLqwQlBU

Hello, I'm new to the forums. My name is Dreyfus. :)

I stayed up from 3:00 in the morning to 5:00 writing this. It's my first remix, so I figured the best place to get critique would be OverClocked ReMix. I'm hoping you guys would be able to help me improve this. :)

As stated above, this is a remix of both Doopliss themes from Paper Mario 2: The Thousand-Year Door. I was getting bored working on my re-orchestration of Twilight Trail, so I decided to do the Doopliss themes, but really in the end wrote more of a remix than a re-orchestration (and that's an understatement). It was originally going to be a remix of the Doopliss Encounter and Dimentio theme from Super Paper Mario, but I wound up using Doopliss' Battle music instead.

I highly recommend comparing this to the originals, just because if you listen to it on its own you might not catch the remixed melody. The music when Mario encounters Doopliss is very repetitive and ambient, so I had to take just a few notes and turn them into a full-fledged song. So it sound like I've been pretty liberal with the melody, but if you pay close attention, you'll see that, actually, most of it is the same notes, just in a different rhythm. The music when Mario battles Doopliss, though, should be obvious when it comes in.

Does anybody know where I could find a bell sound set? The best I have are the Tubular Bells, which just don't sound "bell" enough to represent the Creepy Steeple bell.

Wrote this from scratch tonight in Sibelius. All instruments (except for the Euphonium, Bongos, and Tubular Bells) are sampled via Garritan Personal Orchestra.

As a side note, the bongos sound a bit MIDI-ish; Sibelius' bongo samples are very strange, there isn't much I can do... Also, I think there's reverb missing from this song... It feels like the notes are ending differently than they did on Sibelius itself.

INSTRUMENTATION:

Woodwinds:

1 Piccolo, 2 Oboes (single part), 1 Bassoon, 1 Contrabassoon

Brass:

1 Euphonium

Strings:

2 Violin Sections, 1 Viola Section, 1 Cello Section, 1 Contrabass Section

Percussion & Keyboards:

1 Timpani, 1 Snare Drum, 1 Crash Cymbal, 2 Bongos, 1 Tubular Bell, 1 Harpsichord, 1 Pipe Organ (no pedals), 1 Accordion

Hope you enjoy! :) Thank you for taking the time to listen!

I hardly ever like orchestrations but this is an exception cuz its so awesome! I don't have any ideas for you to do with the remix, cuz I have never made a remix, (but I am working on a Super Mario Bros. Underground remix) but your is better then mine XD. I do want to let you know its a great remix though. encouragement always helps me =D

I didn't really hear the battle theme... I heard snippets of the encounter theme, though you, as stated, took a VERY liberal appraoch to it (I find it rather hard to locate the main themes as you remixed them).

On the technical side of things, I'll say that the piccolo sounds a little flat and mechanical (it cuts off very quickly; perhaps no reverb? I dunno), but other than that, the instruments sounded very nice.

Battle themes starts at 0:57, though the bell intro is littered throughout the song. Because the bell is actually a Tubular Bell, and because it isn't one of the GPO instruments (the GPO Tubular Bell is too blegh for my tastes), I guess it is hard to hear. A little surprising, though, because I felt I was more true-to-the-original with the battle theme than the encounter...

Based on what you've said, I am fairly certain that the reverb is definitely missing... I wonder where it ran off too...?

Thanks to the both of you for your feedback. :)

• 1 year later...

Personally, I loves me some good orchestral ReMixes, and the Dooplis battle was my favorite song from the OST. I can hear the battle theme fairly clearly, I think I hear the encounter theme scattered about the piece, and they come together to make a really creepy-sounding piece of music. That was a complement, btw.

Thank you! Man, it's been a while since I looked at this, but it does still sound pretty good. :) It's crazy that I wrote it in two hours, though, most of my stuff that I write takes days. I'm still kind of surprised that you guys aren't really picking up on the encounter theme, the whole thing (save the middle battle theme) is the encounter... You know, "Da...da da da...da-da da da...da da da daadaadaa da da...da da da...da-da da da...da da da daadaadaa da da;" I just reworked it to "da...da...da da da da...etc. Maybe sometime I can see if I can make a new file where there aren't reverb problems. Any other suggestions?