OCR02040 - Final Fantasy Legend II "Craving for Burning Blood"

Aside from your solo, the entire track sounds samey from beginning to end. That might come with the territory, but it doesn't change the fact that I got a little bored with it.

Also, the sound design really does bother me. Everything feels clumped together, I wish there was some breathing space. It's fine to want to melt faces, but some of the playing could have dealt with being a bit more exposed, like the solo. I wish I could have had it a little bit more in the open, had it seem a bit more special other than just having it be louder and at a higher frequency.

Still, you managed to keep the energy up and there was nothing in particular that stood out as bad, so I enjoyed it well enough.

I'm not the most familiar with the source tune, but this has guitars. And I like guitars. That's probably a big surprise right there.

First thing I noticed is that you definitely nailed the mixing between the guitars, bass, and drums. Guitar tone is very nice, and only during a part or two of the solo did I notice any tuning issues, and they were extremely minor.

Drums could have a had a bit more flair to them, though they're definitely adequate. Try to use the toms a bit more, especially during some transition fills, and the song won't feel as repetitive.

And that's my only big issue with the song: repetition. It's definitely good, but follows the wash-rinse-repeat without much change, either evident or subtle, until the solo comes in. Seems like it's on cruise control, with the attitude of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". The result is a song that's great on first listen, but isn't very repeatable.

I still enjoyed it, and the guitar performance was very good. Nice first mixpost and I look forward to hearing how and where you improve for the next one.

• 2 weeks later...

The mix doesn't feel particularly repetitive to me, probably because it's under 3 minutes and doesn't overstay its welcome. The solo is pretty darn good, too.

I have to agree with some of the criticism directed at the production, though. It really holds back the remix; everything feels rather cramped, and the volume isn't that peachy, either.

Nonetheless, nice first effort, and I'm looking forward to more from you.

• 5 months later...

I didn't know about this remix until I looked at the reviews board. I figured I'd give it a listen, since the title was awesome. The mix lived up to my expectations (which I don't think means much, since I didn't have any, but it lives up to the title). I love how the guitar and drums work together in the piece. I also like how the piece moves around; it feels like the sort of rock piece that can grow stagnant, but it keeps changing up while returning to the key moments. Very cool.

This track is on my Android, so either I'm a masochist or a fan. Or both?!?

Seriously now, this track contains some pretty drivin' energy. I like its raw rawk. The only issues I have are production - mostly the drums sound like they need to be a little sharper or punchier - and I think the volume intensity could use a little variation. Make the guitars REALLY scream in the finale or something.

Overall, solid work. Drum patterns and music varied enough to keep interest, and your production has definitely improved since 2004! (Searching for this song, I found the old VGMix you mention in your submission writeup.) Keep it up! :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Lots of energy and the guitar comes in with some force, but not a whole hell of a lot of it. To me, it does have a great sound to it, and it's definitely nice to listen to, but besides the soloing, I think there could have been just a little more here. Still, for a debut, it's not that bad at all, so nice job.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02040 - Final Fantasy Legend II "Craving for Burning Blood"