OCR01226 - Chrono Trigger "Rhodes to the Past"

djpretzel

I think the problem is not that the melody itself is not varied enough from the original, it's that the instrumentation of the melody is so similar. The intro is relatively unique, but then once it gets to the melody it sounds like a midi redux with a new drum beat.

The semi-industrial/elctronic sound in the intro is nice, but it doesn't follow into the melody, which leaves the main portion of the song sounding a bit generic.

• 4 months later...

I found this one to be very laid back and perfect "ambiance" music for a dorm room or any other room that needs a chill-out-and-relax song.

The main melody remains solid, but I almost felt as if I was listening to something from Super Metroid (Brinstar) in the first 45 or so seconds.

Anyway, this one gets a solid score from me. Very enjoyable easy listening. Nothing too demanding from the listener, but perfect for relaxing and taking a breather from the hectic nature of life.

-Dust

• 3 months later...

i agree a lot with the metroid bit from the last post, it has a very similar feel to what po! did with his Electric Clouds take on Zeal, but this is a lil more "i like this setting, ill stay right here" feeling.. i LOVE the rhodes patch..

great song, love your work Fatty, keep em coming...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

What an amazing piece. I REALLY want more of his work, but I only see two on OCR T_T.

Yet I see that he has many more (such as his original FF X-2 remix and Matoya no Fuuketsu, for example) that everybody seems to love. Where oh where can i get my hands on these songs?? VGMix is and has been down for quite a while...I'm at my wits end! Google refers me to a million japanese sites when I search Matoya no Fuuketsu and Chem sites when i search Fatty Acid Remix T_T

• 2 years later...

that opening snare reverb is absolutely crazy awesome. I love the little semi-gate added to it. Way classy and well thought-out. The percussion is expertly chosen to add impact without moving the track too far from the chill territory it calls home, and though the melody is totally intact, there is a lot of additional supporting parts that are great, as well as a more liberal take on the theme at the end. Speaking of the end, it's the only really weak part of this otherwise excellent track. I think even a long fade out would have suited this better, but even so, this is great chill out music.

Recommended. :-)

Alot of music is like puzzle that needs to be pieced together. Fatty Acid's music is puzzle with simple well thought out ideas that fit together extremely well. One of my favorites OCR tracks and artists by far. It's a damn shame his best song, Madame Balamb, isn't on OCR as that one is pure ear candy! Thanks dude for making such a kick ass track!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01226 - Chrono Trigger "Rhodes to the Past"