Whooooosh!

Can anyone explain how to make a "whoosh" sound like they do in trance, or point me to a good tutorial on it?

Here is a crappy whoosh sound I put together using white noise, and Fruity Phaser where I automated the min. depth and max. depth to get the frequency to rise. (The whoosh is at the end.) But honestly I don't really understand how the phaser works, so I would have a hard time tweaking with it and getting a specific sound out of it. And anyway, I figure there are probably different ways and different kinds of whoosh, so I'd be interested to hear how others do it.

You've already got the basics down properly. The thing is that a phaser keeps on - well, for lack of a better word - "wobbling" so you have little to no control when the part starts so it sounds like it's going up. The solution is to let it run for a long time and cut out the bits you -can- use.

Lots of whooshes are simply continuous noise where the volume's automated. Instead of phasers, you could consider using low-, band- or highpass filters. A quick shortcut: lowpass is like the door of a disco closing (you only hear the whump-whump), highpass is like putting your mp3 player's earbuds on your bed while you're somewhere else in the room - all that's left is chittering. Bandpass is inbetween. A phaser uses an allpass filter, which you don't hear until it moves.

If you want to have more control over the sound you're using, employ a low- or bandpass filter and turn the filter's resonance up. A lot of whoosh effects also employ a combination of delay and reverb to create a "cascading" whoosh.

You can also route an LFO to the filter and modulate the LFO's speed with an envelope - when you have fast LFOs. Listen to the first effect here - http://theheartcore.com/music/arno_windnoise.mp3 (NI Massive was used).

Most effects of the surf crashing on the beach are done with bandpass/bandreject filters and asymmetric LFOs - (rise time takes longer than fall time). Lots of possibilities, especially when you have filter plugins and do most of the things with automation.