OCR01228 - Final Fantasy VII "A Foray into the Eastern Horizons"

djpretzel

The song wasn't bad at all, very relaxing. My only problem was that I couldn't really tell what song it was based off of from FF7 for a while. I guess the Wutai theme didn't stick with me very well. It sounds very appropriate though for Wutai, the piece has a nice Asian accent.

This is one of the better remixes I have on my playlist, and although it's been there for nearly half a year (these days so much of what is there is not yet on OCRemixes, a telling sign that perhaps the jury has grown a bit too voluptuous feeding on these tracks-- it's time to cut the fat from this process and get these songs through the grindery a bit faster), it's certainly one I enjoy listening to again and again. Both parts of the movement capture the true essence of the original tracks, while adding an element of what can only be described as 'spice' or 'flavoring' with the altered tones of more eastern intrumentation.

So just to sum up; excellent song, but it should have been here a long, long time ago.

I'm only halfway through the song, and I'm sure future girlfriends will love haering this as I rub off their day's tensions.

*coughs* I've actually compiled several CDs worth of useful trance-inducing tracks, or basically something to get by the day. Or, as I stated above, to help out when giving a massage. Easing on the mind it is, indeed.

Good stuff! I noted the transition to Schala's theme, but it flowed through quite well and didn't disrupt the overall mood to the song - I think I'll put this on my next playlist for the next cd i make for the occasion.

This is one of the better remixes I have on my playlist, and although it's been there for nearly half a year (these days so much of what is there is not yet on OCRemixes, a telling sign that perhaps the jury has grown a bit too voluptuous feeding on these tracks-- it's time to cut the fat from this process and get these songs through the grindery a bit faster), it's certainly one I enjoy listening to again and again. Both parts of the movement capture the true essence of the original tracks, while adding an element of what can only be described as 'spice' or 'flavoring' with the altered tones of more eastern intrumentation.

So just to sum up; excellent song, but it should have been here a long, long time ago.

thank you.

this version i like a tad better than the one on vgmix though. it has some fixed areas and EQ, a quieter saz line during the schala part and more bass in the ending :) it's also encoded in 128kbps to fit the submission guidelines :)

anyway i'm glad to see it posted, thanks djp and co.

Nice to see that mix (i'm a FFVII adept :D , and Wutai theme is one of my favourite songs), performed in a very brilliant strange way, this piece is particular, original, harmonius. A rare pearl for ones who likes ambiental/orchestral music, great work mv! Hope to see more of your works soon!

The main instrument sounds a bit loud at times, like it could have benefitted from EQ'ing.

It sounded so promising at the beginning, like it was going to build up to something special, but the contrasting notes just don't sound right to me. There were parts in the original of this piece that were very prominent, where all the instruments came together for a decisive powerful note, this mix has rejected that idea and taken away the charm from the original in my opinion.

Oh wow, this is gorgeous. The instrument quality is superb, and the dynamics are so evocative. Now, I have very little experience with creating music via a sequencer, so when I hear little touches like the faint slur with that plucked string instrument at the high end (listen closely... it sounds like the player is sliding his/her fingers along the board while plucking those particular notes) it sounds more real than I'm used to when hearing arrangements like this.

I would argue against the person saying that the main instrument is unbalanced as well. I hear plenty of dynamic variety, and various things are emphasized at different times. Sometimes a particular instrument takes the stage more fully in order to draw out a specific feeling more strongly... and I'd say it does so very very well.

I too was worried about when Schala would come in, but in this respect, I too was pleasantly surprised. When the bells came in at 3:15, I suddenly realised that the song had been building up to it for the past few sections, and it did so so seemlessly that when the bells came in, it felt very natural. And then later, when the two themes merged, Schala became a beautiful BACKGROUND on the strings... it didn't take the limelight, but rather emphasized the beauty of its counterpart melody and took full advantage of the lovely instruments.

Well done. This is great stuff.

wonderful song. I really didn't even recognize the themes used, but i'm not the biggest FF7 player (although i did beat CT twice). But that's for the judges to decide. However i got an image in my head. blurry. until i got to 4:50. Then it hit me. AGE OF KINGS! Anyone remember this game? This song reminds me a lot of Japan's theme. It must have something to do with the instruments used. Amazing song, the posted mixes just keep getting better and better.

Actually I'm reminded of two other things when i hear this song. SHOGUN the game and SHOGUN the tv miniseries. even the two aren't related (cept by name) they have very similar soundtracks, and this reminds me of them.

(relaxing ahhhhhh) yeah, this definitely hits the spot. Im glad mv decided to stretch it out to 6:25, this is one of those tracks that could just go on forever and you wouldnt get tired of it, well fall into a deep deep slumber perhaps....

I love the synths he used, sound more authentic than a lot of ehnic instrument synths I've heard used on this site. Wutai theme is definitely one of my faves. Not so familiar with the CT soundtrack but I think I heard that one somewhere before. Anyway teh two blend beautifully. The tempo change at 2:09 was interesting, wasnt too sure about it the first time I was listening to it but it seems to fit perfectly now. The transition from 3:02-3:28 of the two tunes goes over quite nicely. Finally bringing back in the Wutai theme at 5:12 this track is near perfect.

_Raijin_ -+spark+-

This song is nothing like anything on "The Last Samurai" soundtrack, I can guarantee you that, mv. I've listened to that ST well over a hundred times, and this reminds me so much more of the movie "Hero" (which was also scored by Tan Dun, the composer for "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon"). "Hero" has the single greatest soundtrack in the history of cinema (this I can guarantee you as well) and this sounds exactly like it. Congratulations.

This is one of the better remixes I have on my playlist, and although it's been there for nearly half a year (these days so much of what is there is not yet on OCRemixes, a telling sign that perhaps the jury has grown a bit too voluptuous feeding on these tracks-- it's time to cut the fat from this process and get these songs through the grindery a bit faster)...excellent song, but it should have been here a long, long time ago.

I cannot vouch for how long this was in the submission process. It was released in mid-January on VGMix, but as mv said in this thread, the production was tweaked before this was ever submitted to OCR, so it was likely submitted after January.

djpretzel has to listen to literally every submission before he chooses what to do with it next. If it fell through the cracks of the submissions process, it's unfortunate, but it happens. If in fact this was submitted earlier than May, generalizing this track's rare scenario as a broad edictment on the length of the submission process is misguided, especially since it's in much better shape now as opposed to in the past year.

This is one of the better remixes I have on my playlist, and although it's been there for nearly half a year (these days so much of what is there is not yet on OCRemixes, a telling sign that perhaps the jury has grown a bit too voluptuous feeding on these tracks-- it's time to cut the fat from this process and get these songs through the grindery a bit faster)...excellent song, but it should have been here a long, long time ago.

This mix was submitted a month or two ago. Don't make assumptions on the process if you aren't aware of how hard we in the panel have worked and judged to cut down the wait period this year. Also don't assume mixers submit it to OCR at the same time they post their work elsewhere. Also in a worst case scenario, OCR has mechanisms in place to allow artists to use Fallthroughs to put their mixes before the panel 2-3 months after submission.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think personally that this is one of the best remixes on the website. Schala's theme is so overmixed (and Wutai's is so undermixed) and yet mv makes them both sound so linear, so full, so new that it is just amazing. I heard this on VGMix, and i was really looking forward to hearing it on OCR. Great job, mv!

:twisted:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have always liked Oriental culture... their samurai codes of honor, the music, styles, arts, their deliciously tempting food *mouth waters*... But this is excellent... a very good representation of Wutai in FFVII... and I may sound like a n00b when I have no idea what to look for in Schala... oh wait, there it is...

Good job!

Keep it up!

CHINESE FOOD! *runs to the next forum*

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow...just wow... You know a song of this calibur has reached said calibur when it is played at a chinese resturant. I kid you not. I was eating my general tso's when I heard the very familiar theme to Wu Tai...chopsticks fell. Mouth agape, I realized what it was and came to the conclusion that i must have it. I talked to the manager and said his son got it off of here. I mean, how is that not awesome?

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01228 - Final Fantasy VII "A Foray into the Eastern Horizons"