OCR01228 - Final Fantasy VII "A Foray into the Eastern Horizons"

djpretzel

Wow...just wow... You know a song of this calibur has reached said calibur when it is played at a chinese resturant. I kid you not. I was eating my general tso's when I heard the very familiar theme to Wu Tai...chopsticks fell. Mouth agape, I realized what it was and came to the conclusion that i must have it. I talked to the manager and said his son got it off of here. I mean, how is that not awesome?

hahah man that's the best. fun/cool story to wake up to.

Anyway glad that you heard/enjoyed it man :) Thanks for telling about how you found it!

• 3 weeks later...
Wow...just wow... You know a song of this calibur has reached said calibur when it is played at a chinese resturant. I kid you not. I was eating my general tso's when I heard the very familiar theme to Wu Tai...chopsticks fell. Mouth agape, I realized what it was and came to the conclusion that i must have it. I talked to the manager and said his son got it off of here. I mean, how is that not awesome?

8O That is the most awesome story I've ever heard of OCR being played in public.

• 1 month later...

A beautiful piece. Am I the only big fan of the mixes in which the original songs are difficult to discern? I think this is one of the best examples of that style of mix on OCR. A far better sounding piece of music than the two originals--both some of my favorite tunes in the games themselves. :wink:

I'm kind of reminded of Jia Peng Fang here more than any particular soundtrack, but at the same time not really. It's more that I have so little exposure to Chinese folk music that, upon hearing any vaguely oriental-folk sounding song, I think immediately of Fang. Well, whatever the case, I mean that as a high compliment without implying that the style is borrowed or anything. Again, a beautiful song (with an amazingly awesome tale of intrigue and oriental restaurants to go along with it!). Nice work.

That's a cool restaurant story. Reminds me of one not as cool, so I won't tell it. Lets just say it had sushi and and the perfect beginning to a great evening.

I can't believe I forgot to post here and say how much I really like this one, I enjoy it every time I hear it, and I must have aready listened to it 200 times.

Very touching work. I felt extremely moved from 2:10+ on the metric change, it really grabbed me there.

What I really liked about it and what strucked me as kinda strange is that although the harmonic changes aren't new (I-VII-VI-VII-I in minor) they didn't sound old. I think this freshness is further enlarged by the instrumentation...and lest we forget 6/8.

The articulation is marvelous and most of the lines sounded felt.

Very inspiring.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This mix is really great and I enjoy all of mv's pieces but, for some reason or another, the song transition bothers me. It blends together so well and then, all the sudden, the accompaniment for Schala's theme changes instruments at 3:14. Why does this bug me so? I don't know... I guess it just sounds like, "If you couldn't tell this was a mix of two seperate songs before, now you'll be able to tell."

Don't get me wrong, the song is absolutely beautiful aside from that. That part just makes me cringe for a good 5-10 seconds.

• 1 month later...

Great remix. Very well put together. True to the original without feeling forced. Good attention to details with the string plucking in the background. This isn't one of my favorite remixes of all time but that's probably got to do with the fact that the original tune was not one of my favorite themes in FF7 more than it has to do with the actual remix at all. I can't really think of any real critisms except that it's not on my all time favorite list.

Very solid 4/5 sporks, perhaps even as high as a 4.5/5

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is going to be one of those tracks that I put on my "Time to crash" list. I'm not sure I could properly distinguish between what would actualy be considered a 'sample' (whatever that is, I'm no compositional expert) but that's beside the point. I felt very strong emotion from this mix and was very pleased with it's fluidity. BTW, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon fits this very well.

• 1 year later...

When listening to the original Schala's Theme, I can't help but wonder about the drum beat and how it can be remixed. After hearing this high quality remix, it's clear to me that there is a good resemblance to an asian style throughout Schala's Theme. I would love to hear the incorporation of "People of the North Pole" from Final Fantasy X and Schala's Theme, and this remix has come the closest to doing that.

• 1 year later...

I love the sound. It's a little scratchy, which contributes to a sort of an intimate feel. Kind of a chamber music/acoustic session thing. The low strings and some other stuff do sound larger, but do not detract from the mood. I really liked the shift midway in tempo and mood and enjoyed the free/floating rhythm of the piece in general.

--Eino

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01228 - Final Fantasy VII "A Foray into the Eastern Horizons"