SUBMITTED: Final Fantasy 7 - The Planet is Dead

Nekofrog

So you've probably heard a draft of this if you were paying attention 3 months ago. I've done some tweaking to it, changed some rhythm and percussion parts, and finally wrapped up production on this piece.

It's a progressive-ish metal take on "You Can Hear the Cry of the Planet" with a few melodies from the overworld and some other tunes thrown in (can you ID them all?). Comments are more than welcome.

http://tindeck.com/listen/tkdt

This is really fucking cool. I'm a big fan of the source and I totally wouldn't have expected it to be arranged this way. I don't know if it's just my headphones or an issue with tindeck or something, but there's some clipping when I listen to it during the loudest parts. Not a big deal, though. Good luck, dude!

I didn't think you had a studio where you were! You and your fancy back to the future "Where we're going, we don't need roads" career. :-P

Yeah I remember this from months ago. It's missing... death vocals.

And once again, the lack of a headbanging smiley saddens me.

Close enough, I guess. :P

I figure if you delete the brick wall and smoothen out the animation so it loops more smoothenedly, that would be perfect.

Edit; also i'd just like to say Nekofrog... I played your song, then I played a song from Ihsahn's new CD and it was like less than half as loud as your song. I don't know if it is Ihsahn's bad or yours, but ONE of you guys is either too loud or too quiet. :-P

I didn't notice any clipping in this though and it sounded great, so I wouldn't worry about it even if it is too loud. There might be one or two guys on the panel who is like "darnit you guys with volume" but they don't let that factor into their decision, especially for someone like Nekofrog. You get special treatment methinks. Ha, ha ha. I'm just playing with ye. That guy's teeth freak me out in your sig, so I think... i better leave before i can't look away... it's hypnotic

Shiiiit, the last time a song of mine went to the judge's panel was Chrono Trigger, since then it's been all direct post by Dave. I think I have something like 3 or 4 songs in the DP queue as it is...

They should make an event out of it. Have 7 Nekofrog mixes, one per day in a week, and have one big Nekofrog party!

I like what you've done and I think you've got some really great ideas, but I think you could do with a little less looping. Pretty much everything you've got in there repeats at least 2 times in a row, so your motiffs tend to be like 1 or 2 bars long as always end after that

But yeah, I really think you've got some great ideas in there. I like how you're taking stuff from so many different FFVII tracks.

This is pretty awesome, but technically I have a few suggestions:

The drums are incredibly dry and a little loud in the mix, which kills some of the edge for me. It relies fairly heavily on the source, which is good, and the divergences are awesome - I'd like to see maybe some variation when you repeat the main motif (1 5 8 6 4 5). Maybe play with it or the rhythm or something to that effect to add ample variation and treat our ears with more play on the source. You do enough around it that's fresh that it's generally okay, but this is just my suggestion to go a little further.

Yup, yup, !

I agree that the drums might be a touch too loud for much of the mix, but I disagree with the being too dry. I assume by "dry" you mean little to no reverb. I feel like the space between notes in the percussion keeps things from getting too muddy, which is always a risk w/ reverb.

If I had my druthers, there'd be more bass in this mix. But then, I'm a tuba player - my general philosophy is lower = better. That disclaimer out of the way, a notch or two more in the bass could potentially add some extra depth to what is already a great remix.

Hope this thing gets approved.