OCR01229 - Kingdom Hearts "Above the Rising Falls"

djpretzel

First, let me just say that this is an awesome remix! The instrumentation blends really well, there's several dramatic flows, it's great. Not to mention just that it's tricky mixing something that's in a meter of 5 to begin with.

That said, I've got one gripe. From that great climactic moment at 2:47 that everyone's talking about (and I love the mournful reed bit in 2:51) the whole thing just keeps building in this really awesome way to a second, even more dramatic climax at 3:42... and then it doesn't end! The bit with three emphasized notes at 3:47-48 being picked up again by a soft note moving in and another chord-hit would be a great way to end the track, but instead it keeps going for a while, not actually doing much of anything, and finally ending in a way that is (in my opinion) kind of lame.

Apart from that, though, great track.

• 2 weeks later...

Really great mix - 10/8 is a tough meter to work in, especially when you're using synth beats. No criticism! Awesome to see a KH mix in there and such a great piece to use (Hollow Bastion is beauty). Really nice work :)

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Really great mix - 10/8 is a tough meter to work in, especially when you're using synth beats. No criticism! Awesome to see a KH mix in there and such a great piece to use (Hollow Bastion is beauty). Really nice work :)

Is the time signature on this piece really 10/8? Sounds more like 5/4 to me.

(A time signature ending in 8 usually denotes sets of triplets in each measure (hence the multiple of 3 in the top, e.g. 6/8, 9/8, 12/8).)

Either way, very nice work using an unconventional time signature that isn't your usual 1- ,2- ,3- , or 4-beat measure. You pulled it off flawlessly. I doubt that I will ever stop liking to listen to this piece of orchestral genius.

(BTW, where is the nod to "Destati"? Either it's really subtle, or I haven't been paying enough attention.)

• 2 months later...

This is probably one of the first remixes I ever downloaded from the sight after coming here. I had just been getting into Kingdom hearts at the time, and the original Hollow Bastion theme was one of the songs in the game that really popped out at me. I always liked the mix of the sense of urgency and the feeling of loneliness that you are supposed to feel as a result of events that transpire in the game. Added to that, you're exploring this massive castle that is sitting on top of a rising waterfall, something unlike anything you've encountered in the game up until that point. Whereas the Disney worlds are all colorful and full of familiar faces, Hollow Bastion is falling apart and crawling with nothing but monsters.

This mix takes all of that and multiplies it. One of my favorite kinds of mixes on this site are the ones that can not only make me remember where they are from, but actually make me remember them better than they are. I always feel a little disappointed that it's a bit short of the awesomeness this remix makes the level sound. This is one of them. From the booming bass drum to the "windy" synth, the whole mix sounds like it belongs in the soundtrack to some epic movie. It doesn't deviate too far from the original source, but in this case I don't think it has to. I also like the subtle additions of the Destati track in there (2:42 is the most obvious) , another piece from the OST that I am really fond of. It fits well with the overall feel of the song.

The only thing I can think of that this doesn't have are the bells from the original, which would have been a cool little addition.

• 4 months later...

Some great rhythms and a full atmosphere with a lot of intricate textural details make this an exciting track to loop- nothing about it is really over the top, but the intensity is relentless; even when things aren't at full power, there is a sonic element pushing the track forward. I love the percussion use- big drum hits combined with some drier loops create a really nice texture, and adding the piano arpeggios and the washes of synth and strings give this a ton of depth and character. Phenomenal remix right here, folks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01229 - Kingdom Hearts "Above the Rising Falls"