OCR02042 - Final Fantasy X "No Escape, No Hurry"

Great work, Ad. I'm really enjoying your choice of snare especially. That might seem like a peculiar and small thing (in the overall scope of the song I mean) to pick out to comment on, but for some reason, it's just the perfect timbre and tone for the mix.

Nice job with the jazzy section, too. Didn't expect that.

This mix is really funky, I'm actually a bit upset at the moment and I listened to this song and it had me dancing around in my chair a little. I'll definitely listen to it more often, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

And I can't believe this came from a youtube comment!

I'm really digging that bassline. All of the songs that came together really quickly for the Hurry! project are extremely impressive, not just the songs themselves, but the artists' ability to make them so quickly. I'm really enjoying Rozovian's take on the source, especially the funky, slightly more liberal bit as the tempo gets going. For a source with not too much to build upon, Rozo finds a way.

My first direct post, and I'm already missing the decision thread. ;)

Thanks ppl, glad you like it, especially crem if things suck for you and this track made things a little better. Somehow, BGC's specific mention of the snare also means a lot to me. Dunno why, probably that he found something specific he liked.

I have no idea how I found time and inspiration to do this, but it turned out all right. Gonna move my wips of this to my remixes dir so ppl can hear the progress and my initial, conservative concept/rip. It's in the "asap" dir. For those interested, I have a logic project file there too, for those of you who want to see how it looks like from the inside (and have logic :P). It took me about six days from the first test render to the upload of the completed wav, apparently. Pretty good imo. :D

• 3 weeks later...
The track starts out pretty basic, but the shift in style is well handled, and it's a pretty cool and groovy rendition of the theme. Nice feel to the epiano, and everything clicked pretty well for me.

I second all of the above. The latter part, where the speed picks up, is really nice and funky. If the e-piano around 3:00 doesn't make your feet move/your fingers dance, something's wrong with you.

As soon as this track started up, I could tell I was going to like at least some of it. If you think that's an odd remark, I should mention that I have a lot of experience with music that starts off sounding awesome before going off on a tangent that I don't like. Aaaanyway, I was therefore eager to see whether the rest of the track ... oooh! ... would deliver. It did. Nice one!

I daresy you're puzzled by the "oooh!" above. The reason for it is that it was as far as I'd typed this comment when media player hit the 2:13 mark XD This is the first OCRM for which I've been so impressed that I start commenting only about a minute into hearing it for the first time. Kudos!

• 1 month later...

Wasn't really feeling this track. The intro, which seems to get a lot of praise, is actually pretty off-putting for me. The disparaging elements of a chippey synth, the more orchestral strings, none of it really feels like it was meant to be part of the same arrangement. Instead, it feels like it was a bunch of different elements that all sounded good on their own, and were sort of put into a tumble dryer.

The changeup in styles and tempo is quite nice on its own. Great use of a genre change to prove the power of the ReMix. Still, it all sounds rather muddled and bland. Sort of like you were going for the smoke-filled jazz bar scene but instead of just a few guys in berets you had about 20. Could have really used some filling out as far as the soundscape goes.

And then you go back to your original tempo and style again. WTF? Why did we need that again, did you just want to cement "Hey look at me, this was a remix of 'Hurry' from FFX, don't you forget it! Remixer thumbsup!" It seems like a disservice to your movin' and groovin' section that we were enjoying that you bring us back to the less movin' and far less grovin' parts again. And not even that, but it feels a bit tacked on, there's not much in the way of transition there, so it is quite jarring.

I would have liked to have seen the central section extended out, get rid of the intro and outtro (or at least clean up the intro some) and then see what goes on from there. Because the central portion was quite good, I did enjoy it, but it only feels like a sidequest in the "prove the power of the ReMix by gather 10 spider silks" mission. Or something.

With the many listeners that go "wtf" when the track changes to triplets, we were bound to find someone who just has to be a contrarian. Did you just want to cement "Hey look at me, I'm reviewingz and finding big faults and problems with this mixz, postcount +1, reiviews +1 I'm awsome lol". I can take criticism just fine, I got no problem with opinion, personal taste and preference, but I don't have much patience for this kind of ridiculous conjecture about why I did what I did with it. Welcome to the superjoe30&vig club of completely missing the point.

A proper response would be to redo this WITHOUT the triplets, without the quirk and all that - which was my original idea anyway. I'm not big on proper when I have a backlog of project mixes to do tho. This quick distraction from my other projects was fun, and if you can't handle that, that's your problem.

-

Also, Sorceror's comment is lol for a completely different reason. :D

• 2 months later...

A bit of a (late) reminder, but the entire album, which features this track among others, has been released and you can download it!

Hurry! A Final Fantasy X Impossible Remix Album

Thanks to Rozovian and our other artists who contributed to the album and congrats again for making a pretty upbeat and jazzy remix. I thought that this was a very creative song, done in only a few days too :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, this is intriguing to say the least. Sounds electronic and tense at first and just opens up into a nice little jazzy number with more upbeat energy. The interest that comes out of this arrangement alone gets one thumb up from me automatically. You get the other thumb up because the ReMix itself is entertaining and very well done.

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR02042 - Final Fantasy X "No Escape, No Hurry"