OCR01230 - Street Fighter II "Ryu for Four Pianos"

djpretzel

• 9 months later...

Oh, no. This is a tragety.

My right earpiece on my headphones shoots static and I had to take it off in order to listen to this song in full quality. This song is absolutely the most beteaful piano mix I have ever heard, and that includes kLuTz, who I still revere as incredible. This song does not overdue it at any parts, I have no idea why people say that.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Fitting that my playlist would randomly select this mix so close to the anniversary of Reuben Kee's untimely passing. It allows me to rediscover just how great a body of work he left behind and this is a supreme example of his talent at mixing, at arranging and on piano.

Fantastic performances from all four tracks. Kee knew exactly where to insert the hills and the valleys in his musical landscape, and how to extract the most power out of them. With this one, you never forget the feeling you're in the hands of a master of his craft.

Some people have said the alternating tempos and stop/start dynamic made this offputting, I don't agree at all. This is a piano arrangement after all; those sorts of things are pretty commonplace in the field and I happen to think the technique sounds great.

A prized, bittersweet track that shows Reuben Kee at his most robust. I listened to this countless times through my teenage years, and even though I'll never be able to listen to it the same way again, I can't think of a better way of remembering a lost member of the community.

• 2 weeks later...

What starts out pretty basic turns into some pretty crazy stuff quickly- a lot of nice additions to the theme in the form of countermelodies, and a pretty rhythmic chordal backing.

I remember checking this track out years ago, solely on the gimmick of 4 pianos, and though I'm not sure how this would sound live, the arrangement was cool enough to get me hooked.

Cool stuff, and a very creative.

• 4 years later...

For your info, my friends did a live performance of this track with 3 pianos :) Transcript by Sooty, you can find it online for free.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jXgWmMdx6_s?list=PL159E0DAB806B24DB" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What starts out pretty basic turns into some pretty crazy stuff quickly- a lot of nice additions to the theme in the form of countermelodies, and a pretty rhythmic chordal backing.

I remember checking this track out years ago, solely on the gimmick of 4 pianos, and though I'm not sure how this would sound live, the arrangement was cool enough to get me hooked.

Cool stuff, and a very creative.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01230 - Street Fighter II "Ryu for Four Pianos"
  • 6 years later...

Usually a solo piano piece sounds beautiful or well-executed, and I'm not saying this isn't because it's certainly both, but the addition of multiple pianos gives it that extra zest solos don't usually get and I love this instrument getting to shine in multiple layers like this. Recommended.