Deku Nut House (Deku Nut's Palace MM)

Hey y'all. I've been hovering around the site for a while and finally got around to registering.

Anyways, I am beginning to dabble in making remixes of my own and I have my first one done (I hope!). It's a remix of Deku Nut's Palace from Majora's Mask. Please let me know what y'all think!

I updated the song and you can listen to it here:

stats.png

I was wondering about that. How different does it have to be in order to be a ReMix? Some of the songs I have heard (e.g. Magnet Man Goes West and Inverting the Tower Temple) sound pretty much the same as the source tune except with different instruments.

Anyways, I did think my remix wasn't as good as it could be. I changed the key and the melody. I have changed the status of the remix to a "WIP", but please tell me what you think of it so far! :)

My SoundCloud account won't let me replace the track already up there, so you'll have the listen to the song as it stands now on my Tindeck account.

stats.png

I was wondering about that. How different does it have to be in order to be a ReMix? Some of the songs I have heard (e.g. Magnet Man Goes West and Inverting the Tower Temple) sound pretty much the same as the source tune except with different instruments.

Just changing instruments is the fastest way to get a No, and I wouldn't suggest trying to do the bare minimum to get by the judges because that'll also lead to a fast no. What does get appreciated is added source material. It's okay to use the original song with different instruments, but it's really all about what is new that you can bring new to the table.

Inverting Tower Temple for instance had a build-up into the intro, many parts in the song where instruments/synths were removed to build up again, and used the source tune more as a backdrop rather than a reliance on quality.

Just changing instruments is the fastest way to get a No, and I wouldn't suggest trying to do the bare minimum to get by the judges because that'll also lead to a fast no. What does get appreciated is added source material. It's okay to use the original song with different instruments, but it's really all about what is new that you can bring new to the table.

Inverting Tower Temple for instance had a build-up into the intro, many parts in the song where instruments/synths were removed to build up again, and used the source tune more as a backdrop rather than a reliance on quality.

Ok, thanks for the clarity. I hope no one gets me wrong. I wasn't trying to bash anyone's music (I like the Tower Temple remix), I was just trying to clear that question up :)

So, I took the advice of changing it up and here is what I got. Please give me honest feedback. I know you all have lives other than listening to my song, but feedback is appreciated :)

stats.png

I like a lot of the stuff you did with the melody. After the tambourine comes in and you repeat the original melody again, I feel like you could change up that underlying beat just a tad, too. Also, I think you could speed up and slow down the tempo in some areas.

After the beat goes silent and you start it up again, I think it repeats two times too long before the guitar comes in again. Cut out some repeats in general.

About halfway through, stuff starts to get really interesting. I think it'd be better if this happened earlier in the mix.

The last third of the song (especially with the piano) feels unnecessary.

I guess I'm still getting this continual feeling that 'okay now it's going to really get going.' I first get it when you introduce the tambourine and that's great. But then you have that cymbal hit (or something, I know nada about drums) and suddenly the entire first part of the song looks like it's building up to a climax, but there really doesn't seem to be a huge climax, just a bunch of little ones. I don't really know how you would solve that--I'm having a hard time just trying to articulate it.

The differences I did notice were all big improvements, though, especially the addition of those fast beats in the background. Still think a few tempo changes would help, especially slowing down at the very end--otherwise it sounds a bit cut off.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey y'all,

I know this is like months old, but I did end up submitting the remix to OCR and it got rejected. I didn't know a lot about remixing at the time I submitted the mix, but I know a little more now and am going to tackle the Deku Nut House yet again.

Once I get a new version up I would appreciate feedback. Thanks!