By Request: Chrono Cross: Prisoners of Destiny

dannthr

I've been meaning to actually complete a remix--I've started a few and then some matter of life or business interrupts the process and the roll of inspiration that brought me to the original idea is *poof* gone! So, here's hoping!

Tejing requested this piece be remixed and I had an idea, so I kinda went with it. (Something starting out with some Hisaishi influence and going from there.)

Also a good excuse to test-drive my new strings.

At the current version, I'm feeling it's around 30% done, so quite a ways to go, but I thought I'd post for some initial feedback.

Prisoners of Destiny

Cheers,

EDIT: Updated link, added on a bit of where I was planning to go. There's a cpu click near the end of this version, I know it's there, it won't be in the final (just have to track down the cpu inefficiency at that area)

EDIT 2: Fixed the click

Very interesting. I'm absolutely picking up the Hisaishi vibe (though it's not exactly subtle to begin with). Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with the source tune, but your arrangement certainly seems to fit its title. The orchestration sounds good and even, and to me the general lack of percussion makes what is included stand out that much more, which to me is awesome. It seems like it might start off a tad slow, but it's nothing that seriously bothered me because it picked up pretty well twenty seconds in.

Overall, it reminds me of a dark, creepy forest that used to be a really nice, majestic place. For whatever that's worth.

~LS

• 2 weeks later...

I very much like how it's building so far. (as of WIP vC) That dark-ish intro (the character of the first 20 secs or so) was a surprising idea to me, but it totally fits, so great job on that. The build that follows seems great, though the real tough stuff is yet to come. Good luck!

P.S. Sorry I didn't post here sooner. I subscribed to the other thread, and the email I received quoted me your post without the link in it for some reason, only upon revisiting the forum did I realize you'd linked a WIP thread.

EDIT: @#2: You can hear the source tune here Prisoners of Fate

Very very familiar with the source. What can I say, the last ten seconds are VERY interpretive, but the stuff before that, not so much. Just keep going in the direction of more interpretation and you will be on the right track. Because if the overall mood of the track is very similar to the original, as well as the arrangement, it is not going to go trough the judges panel.

the last ten seconds are VERY interpretive, but the stuff before that, not so much.
I'd say that 0:45 through 0:55 section takes things in a different enough direction too.

As to your basic point, I agree, keep taking it in new directions. :-)