OCR01232 - Raiden II "Airborne"

djpretzel

I really enjoyed Drop and Roll, and this follows well in terms of flavor and style.

Quite enjoyable... I especially liked when 2:30 when strings got involved, while still maintaining the background beat without sounding, well, weird.

Now, in search to find the original....

The intro is very solid. Coming in with a dramatic phase in, I knew it was going to be a toe tapping mix. Great job with mixing up the the beats. Thinking back on it though the drums were a little loud, but I could still hear just about everything the mix threw at me. The scratching bits thrown in were just icing on an already delicious cake. This is a very solid mix

I REALLY love this guy!!! Drop and Roll has been making everyone in my appartement crazy because I've been playing it on loop for DAYS!!!:P

no really and in my car it just gives me a incridible adrenaline rush!:)

this one is less of an adrenaline rush but there is still the "funky beats" as I like to call it that makes it great!!!

Love your work and if you continue like that you may become my #1 remixer:P

This is a pretty cool mix; sort of like a toned down Drop and Roll (which I loved) with more 'real' elements. Great synthwork and drumwork, which I've told tefnek already. Arrangement and mastering are good as well. My only complaint is that the main drumloops used here are virtually identical to the loops used in Drop and Roll, only they have (apparently) less effects. It's not a big deal though since the loops were good to begin with.

thanks guys for the comments.

zircon, i dont know if you mean premade loops when you say loops, but i programmed the drums in both songs using one-shot samples (and totally different samples as well). i did however use a similar technique to process my drums. so i hope the similarity you see is just my style :)

nah, wasn't implying that you used premade loops. I meant the drum patterns themselves were very similar (ie. when the bass drums, snares, and hats struck). The sound of the drums from the two songs were definitely different, of course.

I really don't like the background sound. I think this mix would have been better without it, permaps something a little less explicit and whacky sounding - but there are some parts in it that are really cool, especially starting at 2:28 and the stuff around 3:00. 6/10.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I can hear the similarities to Drop and roll here pretty easily, but I am of the opinion that this is a serious step up, and a better mix overall. Not merely relying on a super-repetitive (though badass) beat, there is a lot more room for the rest of the track. The levels are great and the break down to the uber-distorted synth is easily my favorite part of the track.

I haven't heard the original, so I am not completely sure of the interpretation, but it sound far enough removed from a straight ahead shooter for me to make the logical leaps.

Nice big beats with some melody; can't ask for much more than that.

• 2 years later...

This reminds me of Knuckle's asteroid stage theme in Sonic Adventure 2. I really like those twinkling star bit notes in the back ground. The more I listen to this, the more I like it. There's a lot going on here, changes in speed, style, dynamics, etc. but also everything feels layered, which is interesting. Ultimately it doesn't do anything to drastic or explosively, but I like it, it feels mellow and very purposeful.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01232 - Raiden II "Airborne"
  • 2 years later...

Oh, this is really lovely! This sort-of uplifting dreamy techno soundscape is just perfect. I can totally agree that there's nothing too outstanding or mind-blowing in terms of arrangement, but on the other hand there's a plenty of variety and subtle details here and there (like scratches and twinkling sounds) that made me appreciate this track. The beat may be repeating a lot, sure, but I don't care at all. The groove is super catchy and I love it! And boy, that phat, almost guitar-sounding synth at 3-minute mark is so good. Defenitely spiced the things up a bit. Very solid stuff overall!