OCR02045 - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night "Wandering Latinas"

Fantastic. Mr. Morse puts a lot of heart and Latina attitude into this song, and it almost reminds me of Spanish radio (the only example I've ever really heard was through GTA, but still)

Again, fantastic. I love the SOTN soundtrack, and it recieves great justice here.

The beginning threw me off for just a bit, as I'm a stickler for intros, but I was gleefully surprised with the rest of the song. I share DJP's view of this, a different tone, but not so much to make it seem forced, and it blends wonderfully! It seems to have many layers going on simultaneously, which echos your own agenda in the game but then you meet others with their own, and so I think it reflects it superbly. Such a great song, worth multiple listens(download), and even now I appreciate the intro, excellent work JM!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

A few extra notes since my album review:

- The organ has a spiffy sound to it when it plays staccato chords, and it sure helps encourage the festivities to start up.

- Every time the activity level's high, the party rave atmosphere is solid and contagious. w00t.

- During the long-winded closure, I would've liked it if either 1) the guitar was just a little braver in getting its tunage flowing or 2) the section was slightly protracted, so that the patterned organ and piano could still help guide the collective energy to rest without making their presence seem tedious.

• 1 month later...

This song is so much fun and so energetic. I was having a crappy morning, and this brought me to a much more pleasant place. I feel like I'm at some fun Latin disco inhabited by vampires. Starting at 1:48 I really start to fall in love with this. I also love the variety. It doesn't stay in one place for too long. Spectacular mix. ^_^

You know, I originally wasn't such a fan of this song, but this is pretty enjoyable. I think I needed time to digest this one, as the beginning wasn't my cup of tea originally, but I enjoy this one quite a bit now like the rest of the album.

In particular though, it's hard not to be in a happy mood when listening to the song unless you are in that bad of a mood or your picking apart too narrowly. It has a nice upbeat happy bounce to it & a 70s feel to it that just flows well.

I know this isn't a terribly substantive review, but in short, Joshua Morse doesn't disappoint and even if it appears that he does, take some more listens :) .

• 1 year later...

Yeah, the source itself already had a hint of light funk with the clean guitar lead and latin pop sound to it, and thus I do indeed see it fitting really well with Joshua Morse's style. Nice pick!

So what we have is this generally dry soundscape that managed to emphasize more of the mood of the source going by instrument selection, started by the classy organ writing before going into the clean guitar lead rather early on. As the track goes on, a lot of the writing would soon end up becoming very traditional JM flare with the keys/string writing and attention paid towards the drum work, as well as additional spotlights being given towards those keys and expressive modulated light synths. But odds are if you enjoy his style of arranging it would be down your alley a lot; not the most obvious connections to the source, but they didn't need to be if they are simply to provide a solid groove.

Let me give high appraisal to something that caught my attention within the setting - the brass placement. The trumpets to me with their free moving texture sound really great to me as well; they are hard enough to sound convincing at all, but the slide work and attention to humanisation came off as one of his best attempts at conviction for me, and I am so happy for them. :D

For my first experience on hearing something from Sonata of the Damned, it's definitely a good starting direction. I'm pretty sure I should take a look at the rest of the album down the line, and may even get a kick out of arrangements for the Castlevania titles that I am apparently more familiar with, but for what it is, it's another win for JM :)

• 6 months later...

Yep, this is Morse's style for sure. Cool use of some voice clips and that area around 1:50 and on was more my kind of funk: the dark funk. Yeah, things are more fun on the dark side, and with Morse letting this jazzy tropical sounding ReMix loose (along with the other songs on the album), even the dark side can get a move on.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02045 - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night "Wandering Latinas"