H4n Zoom (Microphone Help!)

So I just bought an H4n for the purpose of interviewing people (and because it's really good for recording live instruments).

This isn't entirely music related since it's for interviewing, however this is the first place I thought of turning to.

The question is: What's a great interview microphone for plugging into the XLR slot at the bottom of the H4n.

Based on my research it seems to point towards buying a Shure 58 - though there are load of various models of this mic.

I need the info fast because I'm heading out to E3 next week and I'm buying online (which means shipping).

If it's also good for recording instruments, that's a bonus, but a microphone with noise cancellation (good for a noisy convention center), is directional (where you point it is where the main source of sound comes from), and makes use of the H4n XLR slot (high quality) would be best.

*crossing my fingers*

I guess your best shot, if you're trying to get a decent sound quality, is to use both the build-in condenser mics of your H4n, and a dynamic mic like SM58 to record your interviews. Then you can just mix your soundsources together afterwards, with the possibility to adjust the balance between direct voice and ambience! I find interviews being more natural to listen to, when you can hear the environments around them.

I guess your best shot, if you're trying to get a decent sound quality, is to use both the build-in condenser mics of your H4n, and a dynamic mic like SM58 to record your interviews. Then you can just mix your soundsources together afterwards, with the possibility to adjust the balance between direct voice and ambience! I find interviews being more natural to listen to, when you can hear the environments around them.

That's a neat idea about blending the two. That's one of the really awesome things about the H4n. Music wise I saw a video with a person who had two mics hooked up on top of the H4n's while playing the piano and it sounded awesome. You also seem to reaffirm purchasing an SM58 :)?

That's a neat idea about blending the two. That's one of the really awesome things about the H4n. Music wise I saw a video with a person who had two mics hooked up on top of the H4n's while playing the piano and it sounded awesome. You also seem to reaffirm purchasing an SM58 :)?

I would look for a shotgun mic for interviews, they tend to have a very good focused cardiod pattern.

SM58, or the improved version Beta58 is great mics for a great price, but I have not tried alot of dynamic vocal mics, so I'd better let the crowd in here point you the right direction there.

Have you used shotguns mics Dannthr? I thought they were condenser mics, which means they would pick a lot of background sounds, even if they got a focused cardiod pattern.