RAM upgrades...

Hey, all. I'm hoping someone(s) can help me out with some RAM questions. I've contacted OCZ support with no reply so far.

I currently have 12gb of OCZ RAM in my Intel Core i7 PC, in tri-channel configuration, 6x2gb. I'd like to upgrade my RAM a bit by replacing one (or two, and eventually 3-6) of these chips with the "OCZ Gold 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333," seen here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227540&cm_re=OCZ_Gold-_-20-227-540-_-Product

This module is the same speed and brand as my current modules. Because my RAM is tri-channel, do I *have* to replace the modules in threes or sixes, or can I just replace one or two of them (for now) with 4gb (instead of 2gb) without disrupting anything? The consensus in my Net searches thus far is that..no one really seems to know, but some suspect the companies *say* you need to replace all of the modules to enhance their business, and not necessarily because it's..necessary. Anyway, thanks so much for any help anyone could provide here. I've figured if anyone could understand the constant need for more RAM, it'd be OCR remixes/arrangers.

• 2 weeks later...

you can replace as much ram as you want, but it won't run in triple channel - it'll just run single-channel, like it used to. you actually don't have to match sticks at all - they can be completely different speeds, and they'll all run at the same speed as the slowest stick in the computer.

you might actually see a reduction in speed, since triple-channel makes a big difference in overall performance.

i'd suggest waiting and doing it in sets of three, since then you get sets that are guaranteed to match (just in case they discontinue that set after you've got one or two sticks purchased). it'll be cheaper to buy in threes, and there's usually deals you can find that make it even cheaper.