Mortal Kombat 9 (2010)

Deathtank

I've liked the Mortal Kombat series consistently, although the last one I played was MK4(which I liked). I always wanted to get a chance to play Trilogy...

I saw this stuff on 1up earlier. I wonder what's coming if anything.

Playing MK Trilogy is like playing Marvel 2 in a way -- everything is broken to shit and damn near everyone knows it. <3 playing as Chameleon though.

I have mixed feelings. I own both of the original Mortal Kombat Movies. Yes, they're pretty awful, but I have dragged my friends to watch them cuz... the story is somewhat entertaining and they did a decent job with no budget on the effects (until the end of Mortal Kombat TA, where the fail is strong).

It was my understanding that this 'remake' won't have iconic things like Sub-Zero's costume, to represent the Mortal Kombat Universe is a more realistic, less loltastic way.

This dissapoints me greatly. Sub-Zero is just another ninja without his blue gi.

The games were mediocre, but I really enjoyed the mythos.

Seeing a film concept completely ditching the supernatural aspects to be the bastard lovechild of Saw and Batman Begins is really disappointing. It's like if they made a New Gods movie, but made them all gangsters in rival cities with bare bones physical similarities for arguable recognition .

There's re-imagining, and then there's just plain stealing names for instant marketability.

Game = yes

Movie Pitch = WTF

Reptile is a leper-looking Jeeper-Creeper and Baraka is a postal plastic surgeon?

Me thinks not.

The only cool things about the pitch were the cast choices for Jax and Sonya, and Scorpion's little ruse at the end. I'm all for a more serious movie than the past ones, but they are trying way too hard to base this in reality. As long as the game is less than $60 (or at least worth the $60), then it looks promising.

I'm not really sure how well that trailer/pitch/whatever holds up beyond the initial novelty. I mean, I had as much of the "Yay, it's Reptile! Yay, it's Baraka! YAY, IT'S SCORPION!" reaction as I'm sure anyone who grew up with Mortal Kombat did, but once that wears off, what has it got going for it?

If they actually set up the plot like that then I can't see how it'd be anything other than 90 minutes of dudes beating the shit out of each other. Again. And that would be fine if the fight scenes were particularly impressive, but I wasn't really blown away by the one they showed.

As for the game, it's nice to see that they've come to their senses after that "Kustom Fatality" travesty, but aside from that I'm not holding my breath. Fighting system just looks like a bunch of same old, but with one fewer plane to move in. And a gimmick for the dial-a-combos. And it doesn't give me much hope that Kung Lao's fatality, as cool as it was, has just been recycled from Shaolin Monks.