*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'A Gerudo Valley ReMix'

djpretzel

Very cool at parts. Some VERY strange compositional decisions, but definitely different. - djp

Hi!

Just wanted to share my latest videogame remix song.

I hope you'll enjoy this epic Gerudo Valley version.

Contact Info

Mattias Holmgren

Mattias Holmgren

info@morningdewmedia.com

www.morningdewmedia.com

I don't have any

ReMix Info

Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Gerudo Valley

Additional information about game if it has not yet been added to the site, including composer, system, etc.... nothing

Link to the original soundtrack if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site... it probably is

Three hours spent working the piano and some discobeats. Again this was a request from my brother, who wants me to do another remix.

Best wishes,

Mattias Holmgren

www.morningdewmedia.com

beautiful piano, the violin doesnt work so well for me, but i really like the dark and original take on the chord progression. NICE WORK

OSHIT where did this come from? All of a sudden it's rock. it's done well, but that came out of nowhere. and now it's techno. okay.

Well, the sound quality is excellent, the individual segments are well arranged, but i'm kind of borderline on this because it doesnt seem so much like a cohesive piece as a tech demo of different styles of music. Like Team Gato sans the humor.

despite my arrangement gripes, it's still above the bar.

YES

Prot convinced me to change my evil ways. while i'd like to see it passed, It could and should be much better. i'm gonna contact the artist, etcetc.

NO for now

This has been one of the hardest songs i've ever had to judge. There is obviously a grasp of mixing fundamentals, as well as attention to sound quality (mostly) all across the board. However, there are several parts of the mix that are quite problematic.

The first of which is after the nicely played re-chorded (albeit far from revolutionary) piano intro. The violin sample is a classic example of lazy instrumentation. It's quite obviously got far too slow of an attack, and it makes me feel like the rhythm is dragging. Just a very sloppy, inexcusable sound quality issue here. It would take 5 minutes of experimentation and realignment of the sample to fix. That, and it's hardly audible on certain notes. I wouldn't be so anal on this, but it's a very blatant sound quality issue that I personally see as very subpar. I wouldn't reject it based on one bad instrument, however.

The second major problem is the "transition" into the main groove. I'm not entirely sure as my ear training is vastly out of practice, but I could swear that the groove is in a completely different key than the intro. That, without an appropriate modulation or rhythmic transition, the sheer lack of any kind of effort in the way of smoothly introducing the "meat" of the tune turns me off to the whole deal early on.

The percussion is fairly well done, but quickly establishes itself as a simple droning 808-ish pattern to support the synth and guitar work. The aforementioned synth work is good enough for a submission, not taking too many risks but not falling flat either. The guitar work is easily the strongest point of the mix. The acoustic solo is rad, and the distortion guitar work is sufficient for me. Aside from that, all I can really hear is a simple pad synth helping to keep things trippy and a jumpy bassline that really could have used much more exposure. This formula dominates the arrangement throughout, with little in the way of breakdowns or bridges aside from a solo that doesn't really do anything to intensify or calm the going-ons. The ending is a straight cutoff with some reverb and pads ringing through. A totally legit choice, but the tune seemed to be groovy enough to warrant something a bit more rhythmically involved.

Like I said, this was a tough call. There is enough originality to make it a viable arrangement, but this just seems too much like a late-version WIP.

The main driving force is obviously the guitar, and I can't pass a mix with one great element, many mediocre ones, and a handful of plain bad ones. In the interest of keeping the bar raised, I'm going to play Sandra Day O'Connor and dissent.

NO

-D

So many problems with this song.

Poor transitions. Not just that obviously poor transition at the beginning. Theres plenty of areas where structure kinda fades into a jumble of notes and then resumes with guitar or whatever.

Key issues. Theres a great deal of off key in this song. For example 2:44-2:45 is the real obvious one.

Dist Guitar is rather poorly played, very uninteresting.

Percussion is simply bad. For half of this song, the same loop repeats the whole time. The last minute of the song has percussion that does not fit very well.

Poorly orchestrated segments. Parts like 2:10 to 2:20 just make me go... ????. Aside from the off key accompany during that segment, the whole transition seems poorly planed, and quickly written, as if the author wanted to get to the next section.

Lame remixing. Parts like 3:10,3:35 don't follow the original progression. Now this isn't a bad thing cause I dont like it, or don't agree with the choice. Rather, its just lazy. Instead of following through with the concluding melody of the chorus, it simply just loops again.

Overall, I like the style of this song. I know I didn't say anything positive yet. The intro piano was very well done. Problem is this song was not well planned out. Whole thing seems rushed, incomplete, amateur. Seems like a wip with many flaws not fixed, many segments not reworked.

Way too many problems.

NO

Important to note that if these problems were fixed, (The big ones I can live with the minor ones), that this mix would certainly get a YES from me. Don't be downhearted cause I type like such a fucking asshole. Take our criticism and patch this song up (and make sure its under 6mb this time). Message one of us and we'll put it directly back up here for resubmission.

Good luck.

I was initially borderline, because the arrangement ideas were hot, but many little things stuck out as problems. The piano intro was decent, except for that noticeable pause at :13. Timing could be a little sharper there, but it was fairly good. The brief strings coming in at :52 didn't sound natural enough as I heard some very flawed/exposed movements from note to note.

The transition into the rock area at 1:31 bothered me and I couldn't tell why, until Danny B cleared it up. I've seen sudden transitions work in other tracks, both mixes and game music, but the key change was too jarring and that's why it didn't sit right. What was going on with the melody/countermelody combination from 2:08-2:20? Really ugly. The basic-level percussion patterns didn't really accentuate the material like they should have; just too many annoying claps and hats that detracted from the flow at some areas. And at 3:47 with the very hot guitar solo, the bassy type support underneath sounded all wrong and didn't accentuate the solo. The only saving grace for that problem was that that support was so low and subtle.

With a decision like this pointing out all these holes here, I don't wanna take away from the loads of great ideas and positives other judges have pointed out. This is some really creative material from Mattias, but there were a lot of smaller problems I had that altogether pushed this below the bar for me. Nice work so far, but I agree with Dan that this comes across as more of a late-stage WIP than the refined finished product, and needs a bit more work to tighten up the weak areas. I gotta join Dan in dissent.

NO