Wash. DC BBQ Meetup: July 4th, Burke Lake Park, Burke, VA

Palpable

The plan: meeting at Burke Lake Park, Sunday, July 4th, 2:00 PM

Hang out at the park (bring frisbees, water guns, anything fun to do)

Go to djpretzel's place for BBQ and games

Burke Lake Park address:

7315 Ox Road

Fairfax Station, Virginia

Who's coming:

Palpable

diotrans

Arrow

Kizyr

Jenner

zircon

pixietricks

Ninja-san and friend

djpretzel

Possibly coming:

Anna

Level 99

Harmony

HalcyonSpirit

GeoffreyTaucer (if someone can give him a ride back to Raleigh)

Ferret

DrumUltima

The last thread got deleted and we kind of lost who was a definite/maybe. Let me know if you're gonna come or may come and I can add you to the list.

Ok, besides myself, Jenner is also down for "who's coming".

So the previous thread got deleted? Dangit. Anyway, we could re-start the discussion on stuff to bring / do while there.

Foodstuffs - we could have a few people bring picnic-suitable food, to mitigate the possibility we might not have a grill. (Even if we do have a grill, it's nice to have more than just meat and veggie burgers. ...oh, yeah, roasted corn too.)

Anythingfuntodo - I'm still up for bringing by a cricket bat or two and some tennis balls (real cricket balls need the right surface to play on, so tennis balls + electrical tape would suffice). Come on, anyone else up for street cricket? KF

Hm... I'll have to make sure I'm going first, but I may be able to help you with that. See, a relative lives in Baltimore, and since the drive from where I live to the meetup is quite long anyway, I might go visit her the day before and then drive to the meetup from there. Depends on when things are supposed to start, though. If I do end up doing that, I may be able to drive you there and back.

The bad news: Burke Lake Park is all booked on grills on July 4th.

The good news: djpretzel has offered his place for us to barbeque at, and chill that evening. That actually makes the whole food issue a lot easier anyway, we don't have to drag it to the park. I'll be buying food and drinks (burgers, dogs, Coke, some side stuff) based on the number of people that are coming, but feel free to bring other food or drinks. Dave also wanted me to mention that he has a lot of Jack Daniels leftover from his wedding, so there's that too. We'll still meet at the park in the afternoon (figured 2:00 PM is good), but transition at some point to djp's.

I don't mind giving someone a ride from Baltimore if needed

Yeah, that would help a lot. If anyone needs me to bring anything (potato salad, extra drinks/plates/cups/etc.) I can swing by the grocery store and pick some up the day before...

The bad news: Burke Lake Park is all booked on grills on July 4th.

The good news: djpretzel has offered his place for us to barbeque at, and chill that evening. That actually makes the whole food issue a lot easier anyway, we don't have to drag it to the park. I'll be buying food and drinks (burgers, dogs, Coke, some side stuff) based on the number of people that are coming, but feel free to bring other food or drinks. Dave also wanted me to mention that he has a lot of Jack Daniels leftover from his wedding, so there's that too. We'll still meet at the park in the afternoon (figured 2:00 PM is good), but transition at some point to djp's.

Sounds like it's still a good plan. (Um, unless someone has a good location for viewing the fireworks, but most of my friends have moved further from the city so I'm out of luck there.)

I'll bring some cricket gear.

Any food/drinks we should pick up while we're at it? If we're gonna roast some corn (which is delicious if you haven't done that before, and a good alternative to meat) then I could bring that with me. Not sure how it'd fare in the trunk of my car if it's hot that day, though. KF

Sounds like it's still a good plan. (Um, unless someone has a good location for viewing the fireworks, but most of my friends have moved further from the city so I'm out of luck there.)

I'll bring some cricket gear.

Any food/drinks we should pick up while we're at it? If we're gonna roast some corn (which is delicious if you haven't done that before, and a good alternative to meat) then I could bring that with me. Not sure how it'd fare in the trunk of my car if it's hot that day, though. KF

Sure, bring the corn or anything else you guys like. In fact, mention in the thread what you're bringing if you're bringing something so that I know what I don't need to buy.

BTW, it costs $8 a car to get into the park unless you're a Fairfax County resident. So obv carpool if you can, or if you're coming to the area by yourself, Amy and I can take a few people to the park if you can meet us at our place ahead of time.

If we're gonna roast some corn (which is delicious if you haven't done that before, and a good alternative to meat) then I could bring that with me. Not sure how it'd fare in the trunk of my car if it's hot that day, though. KF

If you're concerned about keeping things cold, then Vinnie and I could bring corn and other perishables because we can just leave it in our fridge and pick it up on the way to djp's which is like 5 minutes from us. We would probably plan on bringing veggie burgers too. So if you'd prefer, you could bring non-perishable stuff, like I don't know, plates, napkins, utensils, soda, etc.

BTW great idea about bringing the corn. I love grilled corn!! :razz: