Wash. DC BBQ Meetup: July 4th, Burke Lake Park, Burke, VA

Palpable

If you're concerned about keeping things cold, then Vinnie and I could bring corn and other perishables because we can just leave it in our fridge and pick it up on the way to djp's which is like 5 minutes from us. We would probably plan on bringing veggie burgers too. So if you'd prefer, you could bring non-perishable stuff, like I don't know, plates, napkins, utensils, soda, etc.

BTW great idea about bringing the corn. I love grilled corn!! :razz:

How about this: we stop by your place beforehand and leave the bucket of corn there (literally--they roast better if you leave the ears in water for many hours to soak). Room temp should be fine--they don't need to be refrigerated, I'm just worried about them sitting in 90° heat in my trunk.

That ok? Y/N? I mostly don't want to saddle all the supplies on you guys.

If necessary, we can help with the carpooling as well if anyone else is meeting up over there. KF

EDIT: By the way, I'm still totally serious about trying to get a cricket game going. I spent forever (...ok, 15 minutes) putting together some wickets out of PVC pipe.

How about this: we stop by your place beforehand and leave the bucket of corn there (literally--they roast better if you leave the ears in water for many hours to soak). Room temp should be fine--they don't need to be refrigerated, I'm just worried about them sitting in 90° heat in my trunk.

That ok? Y/N? I mostly don't want to saddle all the supplies on you guys.

If necessary, we can help with the carpooling as well if anyone else is meeting up over there. KF

EDIT: By the way, I'm still totally serious about trying to get a cricket game going. I spent forever (...ok, 15 minutes) putting together some wickets out of PVC pipe.

Sure, that's fine. Actually I considered suggesting that myself, but I thought that might be out of your way to come all the way out to Fairfax then go to Burke. But if you're cool with that, then that sounds like a good plan.

I've never played cricket before and I don't know much about it besides what I saw in Alice in Wonderland as a kid. But you seem very excited about it, so I'm willing to give it a try .) Personally I'd be way excited if we got a game of ultimate frisbee going, but we may not have enough people for that. Oh well, we'll bring our frisbee anyway.

Sure, that's fine. Actually I considered suggesting that myself, but I thought that might be out of your way to come all the way out to Fairfax then go to Burke. But if you're cool with that, then that sounds like a good plan.

Oh it's no problem. It's all still around Northern VA, so it won't really be that far out of my way. I'll PM you later about directions and all.

I've never played cricket before and I don't know much about it besides what I saw in Alice in Wonderland as a kid. But you seem very excited about it, so I'm willing to give it a try .) Personally I'd be way excited if we got a game of ultimate frisbee going, but we may not have enough people for that. Oh well, we'll bring our frisbee anyway.

I'm up for anything. I won't be disappointed if we can't get a cricket game started (I'm going to use my gear at other occasions too, after all), but it's actually really fun if folks give it a chance. The rules aren't that hard either; it's easier to explain that than a crumpet (a trifle though is a piece of cake). KF

Hey everybody, I'm buying stuff on Saturday for the BBQ and I'm assuming all the people who said they are going are still going. If you're a maybe, let me know if you're going before Saturday so I can buy the right amount of food.

Also, I realized Burke Lake Park is kind of big so let's try to meet at the main parking lot with the ice cream parlor and carousel.

Forgot to mention, here's what I'm buying:

Hamburgers/buns

Veggie burgers

Hot dogs/buns

Fixin stuff

Potato salad - diotrans

Chips - Arrow

Corn - Kizyr

Cookies - me

Pie of some kind

Drinks - djpretzel

Strawberry lemonade - diotrans

Plates - Arrow

Napkins

If you want to chip in, feel free to claim something and I can get the rest.

The weather forecast is not looking good for Sunday - 95 degrees. BUH. x_x

Andy and I may not be coming after all, I'm afraid. It's a long drive for us from Philly, and we just got back from a 10 day vacation - so it doesn't seem like the best time when we take the miserable heat into account.

Well... if we're around the shade / near the water, it'll be a fair bit cooler. Plus we'll be heading over to DJP's place in the afternoon/evening, I think. But yeah, it's cool if it's a bit too much of a hike right now. (The last few days have actually had amazingly good weather too.)

By the way, if anyone else wants me to grab anything just let me know. KF

Pixie: Aww :puppyeyes: I agree with Kizyr, we would probably be staying in the shade for the park, and we'll be indoors at djp's place afterwards. But I def. understand if you feel like it's just too long a drive after taking a long trip like that.

I'll make strawberry lemonade and potato salad. It sounds like Palp wants to make cookies too. ^_^

Yay I'm excited!! :razz:

Does anyone know what the parking is like around that area? And where we can park, specifically? I'm driving up there that morning, and I don't want to have to hunt down parking spots after driving for 5 hours...

Parking in the park is a breeze, I've never seen them run out of spots. Since we're meeting in the main area (I believe it's the first parking lot you see as you enter the park) just put your car there and you should be good!

BTW, updated the food list. Still not too late to get something off of there, anyone else who's coming. If it ends up being too hot for everyone, we can always roll to djp's house or mine early.

Actually, I went ahead and grabbed paper plates and plastic cups while I was at the store too. (about 100 of each)

For chips, I forgot who all was coming, so I just grabbed three 13.5oz bags of Giant-ripoff restaurant style Tostitos, two 12oz bags of Doritos (one nacho cheese, one cool ranch), two 11oz. classic Lays, one 16oz classic Utz, one 10.5oz harvest cheddar Sun Chips, and three bottles of Tostitos dip (two chunky salsa, one cheese). I better not hear any complaints about lack of variety. XD

(it's gonna be a trial not to tear into any of this tonight since it's just sitting beside me on my bedroom floor, looking delicious and what not)

EDIT: Hey Vinnie, how many people do you and Amy have with you? I'm driving by myself, so I was considering hitting you guys up on that "go to your house ahead of time to carpool" deal.

The weather forecast is not looking good for Sunday - 95 degrees. BUH. x_x

Andy and I may not be coming after all, I'm afraid. It's a long drive for us from Philly, and we just got back from a 10 day vacation - so it doesn't seem like the best time when we take the miserable heat into account.

That doesn't make me feel as bad now. But of course when I move to Arlington, I already had plans for the 4th. I would totally go otherwise, since I'm so damn close. Dang it.

Actually, I went ahead and grabbed paper plates and plastic cups while I was at the store too. (about 100 of each)

For chips, I forgot who all was coming, so I just grabbed three 13.5oz bags of Giant-ripoff restaurant style Tostitos, two 12oz bags of Doritos (one nacho cheese, one cool ranch), two 11oz. classic Lays, one 16oz classic Utz, one 10.5oz harvest cheddar Sun Chips, and three bottles of Tostitos dip (two chunky salsa, one cheese). I better not hear any complaints about lack of variety. XD

(it's gonna be a trial not to tear into any of this tonight since it's just sitting beside me on my bedroom floor, looking delicious and what not)

EDIT: Hey Vinnie, how many people do you and Amy have with you? I'm driving by myself, so I was considering hitting you guys up on that "go to your house ahead of time to carpool" deal.

Yay awesome, thank you ^_^

So far it looks like just Kizyr and Jenner riding with us, but even if we had more than 5 people, Vinnie and I could each take our cars so that we can get people in for free. So Arrow, I'll PM or FB you our address, and anybody else wanting to carpool, let us know in this thread and we can hook you up! :<