Song of Healing

UPDATE: Latest version: stats.png

Original post:

Hi, lurker noob here. I'm trying to write a remix of the Song of Healing for the piano. I'm still in the arrangement stage, so no production etc. concerns yet.

I've gotten it down to something I think I could write down and really practice to perform and record, but I'm looking for other opinions before I do so. I have my own concerns about it but I guess I'll just see what you more experienced people here have to say...

Youtube link. :tomatoface:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kW1z7FcyIE

Thank you for the kind reply!

What are your concerns?

First, I'm concerned that the section from 2:27 to 3:00 doesn't fit in well. It has a 6 vs. 4 rhythm thing; I don't mess with the rhythm anywhere else.

Second, from 0:37 to 0:55 the only difference between what I'm playing and the source material is that top repeating note. Is that okay in a remix?

Third, I don't stray from the original structure and chord progression. This doesn't bug me, but for the remix, should I change that up too?

Thank you for the kind reply!

You're welcome!

First, I'm concerned that the section from 2:27 to 3:00 doesn't fit in well. It has a 6 vs. 4 rhythm thing; I don't mess with the rhythm anywhere else.

I don't think it doesn't fit. Actually, I like it (well, one of my favourites music genres is prog rock, so I love messing with the rythm hahaha).

Second, from 0:37 to 0:55 the only difference between what I'm playing and the source material is that top repeating note. Is that okay in a remix?

Third, I don't stray from the original structure and chord progression. This doesn't bug me, but for the remix, should I change that up too?

Well, yes, those things you mention could be a "problem". You better read this, taken from the site FAQ. It could help:

4. Arrangement

1. Arrangements in any genre of music (e.g. techno, jazz, rock, classical) are acceptable, so long as the genre itself does not conflict with any other arrangement criteria. 2. The arrangement must be substantial and original.

• Submissions must be different enough from the source material to clearly illustrate the contributions, modifications, and enhancements you have made. Acceptable arrangement often involves more than one of the following techniques:

• Modifying the genre, chord progression, instrumentation, rhythms, dynamics, tempo, or overall composition of the source material
  • Adding original solos, transitions, harmonies, counter-melodies, lyrics, or vocals to the source material

• Taking the original game audio and simply adding drum loops or using an existing MIDI file and assigning new instruments does not qualify as substantial or original arrangement.
  • Submissions should be long enough to convey arrangement; generally, this requires at least two minutes of material.

3. The source material must be identifiable and dominant.

• While interpretation and original additions are encouraged, arrangement must not modify the source material beyond recognition.
  • The amount of arranged source material must be substantial enough to be recognized.

This sounds really nice so far. I dig what you've done arrangement-wise, and your playing is very expressive, which is great. I will say that this might be a little too conservative for the judges the way it is right now, although I'm not positive. It can't hurt too much to mess around with it a little more in terms of interpretation. Maybe try changing up the chord progression in a few areas, write some counter-melodies or harmonies, or change around the rhythm in more places. You've already started to incorporate some of this into the piece already, so my only recommendation would be to keep going in that direction. Because the instrumentation you've chosen is the same as the original, you might be expected to be a little more daring with the arrangement than some other piano pieces that have already been posted here. Good luck, dude! It sounds really solid so far.

Gonna echo the Dude before me, you've got a pretty conservative remix here, but you're personalizing it well and should keep going in that direction. You don't necessarily have to stray far from the original progression, but you'd have to give it your own spin. Try to do that without forcing it, it's better to make a well-transitioning conservative mix than an ill-transitioning liberal one. Ideally it'd be a well-transitioning, creative take on the source. ;)

imo the problem with 2:27 and on is that you leave the track empty for too long when you break the rhythm. If you had something to fill that part up it wouldn't be as big a deal as it is now. Changing the rhythm doesn't bother me, it's the emptiness that does.

It's a good start but this version isn't for ocremix. If you want it accepted to the site (aside from recording quality) you'd need a more distinct arrangement, methinks. if that's not your goal with this, never mind. Some of your pauses seema little long and break the rhythm, careful about that.

Nice wip. Keep working on it. :D

Wow, thanks for the feedback everyone! Exactly what I needed. :-o I will sit down at the piano for a few hours today and tomorrow hopefully and see what I can come up with.

imo the problem with 2:27 and on is that you leave the track empty for too long when you break the rhythm. If you had something to fill that part up it wouldn't be as big a deal as it is now. Changing the rhythm doesn't bother me, it's the emptiness that does.

I don't understand what you're getting at when you say "leave the track empty"... In the video I make mistakes and have to pause, is that what you're referring to?

Yeah, this recording was just to get the arrangement I have so far on the internet. My dad works a lot with music/sound, so once I nail the arrangement down I plan to enlist his help and equipment.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so I had a bunch of stuff come up (lost video camera charger cord, death in the family) and I haven't updated like I meant to.

In my effort to be a little more creative with the source (and my tinkering for a month), this has morphed into something almost completely different than what I had before. Hopefully it's all for the better:

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/qnqi

stats.png

(the tindeck player is not working for me, you can download and listen just fine if you have issues as well. Also, on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSaRiPGEHy8)

It is shorter than I'd like. I think I should put something more at the ending (before the high bit) but I'm at a loss as to what.

I tried to remove most of the noise, but I'm afraid there's still an irritating buzz in there. Just to reiterate, once I nail the composition down I'm going to enlist the help of my dad who knows audio stuff and has the equipment to produce it, so sound quality is not my concern yet.

Many thanks in advance for any advice or feedback! :smile:

• 1 month later...

Okay, I think this is the final composition. I'm still worried about 2 and a half minutes being too short, but I suppose the other two piano pieces I've heard, "Chopinesque Kirby" is 2:27 and "Grand Valse Mario" is 2:35...

The only new things are that I found the charger for my video camera and I added a bit of the Song of Storms and the Serenade of Water to the end.

Anything I should change or should I move on to production?

This is just... incredible. I'm not usually a sucker for pianos. I feel they're generally exploited to try and get people emotional. This, though, came so close to bringing an actual TEAR to my eye that it freaked me out. The themes mixing perfectly together, that sad sad sound of Majora's Mask's music, and your fantastic playing moved me... and that surprised me. Pleeeaaase record this soon.