Does anyone know the scale and chords for PortTown [f-zero snes]?

"If anyone knows the Chords to this and tells me I'll have you're babies.

Thus far all I know is the intro notes[

-
"50,
"25-
"75,
"50-end]. Continuous Eflats on the base line while the treble plays Gflat+Dflat [up] Dflat+Aflat [dwn] C+G [dwn] Aflat+Eflat [up] A+E [dwn] Gflat+Dflat [up] Aflat+Eflat [dwn] E+B, from the original.

I want to know the chord sequence for the spots inbetween. I figured out Emaj and Eflat sus 2 [

"25-
"50], but the Eflat sus2 sounds off. Thnx "

Was my original post on that specific video.

I learned the intro by watching a mario paint video. I can't pick up chords by ear, nor really weird scales like whatever scales happens to be in this song.

If given a link to sheet music I'll be fine and dandy, and very very grateful. If you know the chords offhand and tell me [or even the general baseline {which I can use to find the chords}] I'll also by eternally grateful. This is my all time favorite song [music in general]. I just can't figure it out...

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?fid=812

Eb > Eb > Eb > Eb > E/Eb > E/Eb > Eb

Like star fox. Messed up in the clip towards the end though. x_x

EDIT: Eb Major Scale > Eb Major Scale > Eb Major Scale > Eb Major Scale > E Lydian Scale > E Lydian Scale > Eb Major Scale

EDIT2: Some playing:

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?fid=813 - Eb > E/Eb chord progression jamming

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?fid=814 - Climbing video game/old-anime-fantasy-soundtrack (like Magic Knight Rayearth or El Harzard) chord progression / Chords are: Eb > E/Eb > F/Eb > Gb/Eb

- Used in Sonic 3 and Knuckles Final Boss

- Used in Super Smash Bros. a lot...

- Used in Magic Knight Rayearth a lot (don't know the composers name but he uses it everywhere)

- Used in Final Fantasy 12 a whole lot, Hitsohi Sakimoto is literally just jamming on his keyboard to create that soundtrack.

- Rarely, if ever, used in American music.

I wish these kinds of chord progressions could be brought into American Modern Film. Movies would be so much more intense. x_x Personally I'm using them in my own original soundtrack for this one game, because it just makes things so dramatic.

Pay attention to pedal tones (the beginning).

Cm/C > Eb/C > D/C > Db/C - that's a cool video game chord progression. There's a little bit in there. (sorry I don't have perfect pitch yet, I don't know what key it's in)

EDIT: Read above post.

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?fid=812

Eb > Eb > Eb > Eb > E/Eb > E/Eb > Eb

Like star fox. Messed up in the clip towards the end though. x_x

EDIT: Eb Major Scale > Eb Major Scale > Eb Major Scale > Eb Major Scale > E Lydian Scale > E Lydian Scale > Eb Major Scale

EDIT2: Some playing:

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?fid=813 - Eb > E/Eb chord progression jamming

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?fid=814 - Climbing video game/old-anime-fantasy-soundtrack (like Magic Knight Rayearth or El Harzard) chord progression / Chords are: Eb > E/Eb > F/Eb > Gb/Eb

- Used in Sonic 3 and Knuckles Final Boss

- Used in Super Smash Bros. a lot...

- Used in Magic Knight Rayearth a lot (don't know the composers name but he uses it everywhere)

- Used in Final Fantasy 12 a whole lot, Hitsohi Sakimoto is literally just jamming on his keyboard to create that soundtrack.

- Rarely, if ever, used in American music.

I wish these kinds of chord progressions could be brought into American Modern Film. Movies would be so much more intense. x_x Personally I'm using them in my own original soundtrack for this one game, because it just makes things so dramatic.

I play piano.

I've found a few sites that lable chords as Eb/E, or A/E, [chord/other note]. But on piano I've found nothing. So, I ask, what would be the listing of notes in such a chord from highest to lowest? Does the letter before the slash indicate that it's the first note in the chord? As in Db/C would be C Db G Ab, a Db chord with a C at the begining.

Anyhow, I need to find a piano to mess around on.

Thanks for the info!

Exactly, you're spot on. Db/C means a Db chord with the bass playing C.

The "root tone" is still Db, but it's like another chord all on it's own because of the bass. It's EXTREMELY dramatic emotionally. It's how the (disney's) Notre Dame soundtrack, and Liberi Fatali sound so amazingly epic and emotional.

There are certain times when I wouldn't let pedal tones confuse you, though. For example if you have:

A) C > G/B > F/A > C/G

It's easier to just look at it like it's...

B) C > G > F > C

That's how I learned to play Edeilweiss. (....umm...those aren't the chords to edeilweiss...and sorry for spelling it wrong x_x)

About A and B above: It'll pretty much sound the same. It's a simplification so that you can create a song using those chords without having to over-complicate it for yourself.

In the case of some composer having fun pounding on one note on the bass while on top playing all kinds of different chords (Hitoshi Sakimoto)...to recreate that kind of style, you'd just have to get really good at piano/keyboard and just playfully push down all kinds of random Major Chords to denote an insane amount of expression. (listen to FF Tactics Advance or FF12 soundtracks)

In the case of someone like Taku Iwasaki it's easier to simplify his music, removing the pedal tones. (don't worry, it's always tough studying pedal tones....not for some random people with really good ears though x_x (and perfect pitch!! damn you all!))

Another post, but not a bump:

Hitoshi Sakimoto Technique #1

italics = single notes

bold = chords

The C minor scale is:

C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb, C

Now, play these chords (all major chords):

C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb, C

Now, just keep pressing, as your pedal note, C. (Play C down low), and playfully play these chords:

C, Eb, G, F, D, Ab, F, G, Ab, C (just random chords I'm putting down, but play them with a playful rhythm)

The result is a Hitsohi Sakimoto kind of technique. (FF12, and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance)

The point is, that the more you play pedal tones the more you get a grasp on them.

Why are they called pedal tones?

You are releasing the sustain pedal when you play a different chord, but you're just playing the same note continuously on the bass line, correct?

I'm just curious why it's called a pedal tone.

Anyway, thanks for the info, very informative. You seem to know a lot about music. How long have you played, and what do you play?

Why are they called pedal tones?

You are releasing the sustain pedal when you play a different chord, but you're just playing the same note continuously on the bass line, correct?

I'm not quite sure, but I do think the pedal does not refer to a standard piano pedal here, but to the organ bass pedals which you play with your feet.

Anyway, thanks for the info, very informative. You seem to know a lot about music. How long have you played, and what do you play?

Thanks. I've played piano for a while, but I've taken an intensive relative pitch ear training course for 2 years, which is really how I know how to do anything.

• 2 weeks later...