Skies of Arcadia - Of Rogues and Silvites (Tension)

Galcian

This is my first honest attempt at a song. It's really not a remix at all, but it does use a track from the Skies OST called "Tension". It's actually all original until 1:45 when the raw track comes in. I just added some extra beats and a rap on top, along with some small edits to the audio. From 3:08 on, there's some remixing of Tension to better suit a melancholy mood.

The point is NOT to submit this to the judges but simply for comments and advice. I don't play any instruments (except the mouse and keyboard :P), I don't know anything about music theory, and I don't know what the heck I'm doing, but I enjoy creating... stuff. So there ya go >_>

EDIT: Uploaded to soundcloud as requested --> http://soundcloud.com/exobyte/of-rogues-and-silvites

EDIT2: Source for everything 1:45 and on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42qnCABmxUM

Video version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN0SopiCp1g

- ExoByTe

I created it in a very unorthodox way. What I did was create patterns in FL studio then exported them as high-quality WAVs into Sony Vegas. Then I positioned them on the timeline frame by frame. I did this because I'm very comfortable with Vegas and thought that exporting into 320kbs MP3 format wouldn't sacrifice quality. But it did.. anything low-pitched is garbled. This made me sad.

I also used Audacity to do some vocal adjustments. That's it.

Yea the low end is null in this mix.

Do the WAVs you export from FL have any low-end in them?

I'll have to check that out when I have access to my work computer again. If that's the case, maybe I could put the WAVs into FL and export from there.

So that's one big problem, but I also want to know about the musicality of the mix. Is it strange, choppy, etc.? Bad samples? Everything used was from the default FL files after all.

The reverb on the vocals is too much, and they seem 'stuck' behind the synths. It sounds like you've added effects (like a phaser or something) to the vocals - take them off it you have. The beat that comes in at 0:20 needs a lot more 'umph' - but that goes back to the lack of bass we've already discussed.

The transition at 1:45 is abrupt, but not necessarily unpleasant...I'd wait for other comments concerning it. I think the biggest problems here are mix-related.

Everything used was from the default FL files after all.

So you put FL files in Vegas??

The reverb on the vocals is too much, and they seem 'stuck' behind the synths. It sounds like you've added effects (like a phaser or something) to the vocals - take them off it you have. The beat that comes in at 0:20 needs a lot more 'umph' - but that goes back to the lack of bass we've already discussed.

The transition at 1:45 is abrupt, but not necessarily unpleasant...I'd wait for other comments concerning it. I think the biggest problems here are mix-related.

So you put FL files in Vegas??

I layered the vocal track then put on reverb, 2x Flanger, and distortion.. obviously, I was trying to cover a lot up =p I won't add all those effects again. Is there anything else I could have done at :20 to add something more, besides fixing the bass.. such as different patterns, better samples, or adding things? Regarding the transition, I actually went through four or five different variations of where to make that transition, and it never really felt quite right.. honestly not sure how to switch from fast and drummy to slow and dark.

No, I didn't put FL files in Vegas. I meant that I used the files that came with FL for the entire song.. as in I didn't download any higher quality samples.

Thanks for the tips, though. You're the first person I could really get to help me figure out how to improve. . . from now on my songs will have bass in them :<

EDIT: Just figured out that the WAVs have quite a bit more bass in them.. so I guess exporting from Vegas is sucking away all the low end, which sucks because I like to put videos to my songs... I can start using Premiere for that, though. Anyone know if Premiere has any loss of audio quality issues? Or how to export from Vegas without losing quality?

I'm familiar with Vegas, and it shouldn't suck the low end out like that if you are properly importing WAV's.

Check your audio export settings.

I'll give you more input sometime soon. But, just some FYI: never use 2x flagers, phasers, or choruses. ever :)