OCR02049 - Super Mario Bros. 3 "Pipes"

djpretzel

I had a nice review... but it was eaten... lemme sum up.

Basically, this was a great way to start my morning. The playing is tight, but the mixing isn't as hardcore as their originals. The kick loses a lot of beef toward the end.

Other than that, the interpretation and sexiness of the guitars and spacey effects (as Jesse mentioned) makes this mix simply great.

That guitar at the very end with the open chords made me smile happily too. :)

Mmm thems is fine gritty drums der. Purdy!

You know, I always thought that the underground theme was better in SMB3, because I could actually understand the phrase now that it had a beat. Cool pick for the version of the source.

Can't say I'm the biggest fan of such an abrasive middle-focused guitar tone, but it sounds a lot better once it has the low-end covered after the first phrase. The synth accompaniment is pretty catchy, reminds me a bit of some of Pitchshifter's work. Nice wanky solo. The drums sound a little bit too weak when every instrument is going full throttle, but that's not enough to take away from the mix as a whole.

Nice industrial rocks feel. I enjoyed it!

You know, I have heard countless variations of this, but you people really hit the nail on this one.

The sound is rich and full and the mix features almost everything you could wish for.

I also like your band in general,keep up the nice work. I hope we will be able to listen to another remix from you in the future. Thanks for sharing this remix and all the best to your future.

A little misleading, considering the islander/Irishman (depending on which continent you hail from, respectively) in me, but a worthy mix nonetheless. Big tip!

[Edit] It just occurred to me I should explain why it's misleading. Well a lad like me who hears the word "pipes" thinks of "bagpipes" of course!

As far as arrangement is concerned, the intro is pretty straight forward; too straight forward IMO. Synth coming in at 0:30 adds personalization and sounds pretty awesome. The synth at 1:00 is even better. 1:15 onwards is really, really nice; powerful and atmospheric. Breakdown starting at 1:52 is badass. Climax starting at 2:13 is awesome.

Also, using the fx as the ending is pretty clever.

I can't believe I never commented on this mix. I have to say, this is probably my favorite SMB underworld remix ever. At the beginning I wasn't expecting to like it but I was sufficiently blown away. You use some excellent effects, you've got a great solo, and the arrangement was carefully thought out. My favorite part is definitely the transition from 1:53 to 2:13 finishing in that little riff with the guitar - very fulfilling. If I had to pick out any issues, it would be that the mix feels a little crowded near the end and it's tough to hear the low end - but otherwise, spectacular track!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great pick for a source - that drumbeat is just classic. Instant nostalgia. I absolutely LOVE that synth arp at 0:29, and a nice ominous pad building from 0:24 lets you know this isn't going to be a straightforward remix. Killer solo from 1:33, and the change of beat at 1:53 is awesome with the chorused guitar.

Definitely the best version of this theme I've ever heard.

• 11 months later...

Whoa - was NOT expecting that chiptune to come in there around the 0:30 mark, very nice. :nicework: The combination of guitars and electronic sound has a really interesting interplay in the track, as they alternate being exposed and playing together. I particularly liked the synthy sound being used as an echo that showed up around the 1 minute mark - a very nice touch, that. Great stuff for a first post - I hope Seventh Epic submits more to OCR. :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm going to go on record first and say the Underground theme drove me nuts in the original Mario back when I was about five, and was glad that it got a little more to it in SMB3. Now, with that out of the way, this ReMix has got to be one of my favorite underground ReMixes ever. The hard guitar over the chippy beat underneath was super cool, and the feeling that emerges is something simply badass. Nice use of SFX. The solo and switch-up with the drumbeat was SO DAMN GOOD! I really don't think I could say much more without going overboard, so I'll just leave it by saying what I said before: Best underground ReMix I've heard thus far.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02049 - Super Mario Bros. 3 "Pipes"