Emulate PSX

Brandon Strader

The only time it's legal to have ISOs of a game on your computer is if you ripped them from your own store-purchased CD/DVDs yourself (and even that, I'm not entirely sure about). Flat out downloading the ISOs is illegal, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Really? Hmm... That may be particular to PSX isos, or something - most places post up a disclaimer saying it's not legal to have the roms unless you own the game.

Sorry, it's an honest mistake, here. I know what I said is true for NES/Sega/SNES roms, but I guess it doesn't carry over for Psx isos. Ok, disregard my little bit of advice, then :oops:.

FF8 also has a PC version (which I also own), and it runs great. You could go online and find someone selling it, too.

The only time it's legal to have ISOs of a game on your computer is if you ripped them from your own store-purchased CD/DVDs yourself (and even that, I'm not entirely sure about). Flat out downloading the ISOs is illegal, no ifs, ands, or buts.

this isn't actually totally true. if it was, then rom sites would be illegal, once and for all. you're allowed to download a version of your game as long as you own the discs/carts AND you own a working system AND it's the EXACT SAME version. so, if you own the original and there's a re-release on a different system, that's illegal. if you own the normal version and the platinum hits version includes a bit of extra content, that's illegal. but you can download the rom of Super Mario Kart if you own a working n64 and use it on your computer, no problem.

edit: for those suggesting the PC versions, they're glitchy as hell on modern computers thanks to architecture changes and the simple fact that no one's using w98 anymore. it's rare that you can play the whole way through without it taking a dump a few times, too. ff7, particularly, is just a poorly done port, which is why ff8 sold so poorly and then why they didn't make ff9 on pc.

I actually have FF7 for the PC which is why I wasn't going to emulate it. But I don't know if it runs on Win7 64, it's an older game. o_o If that forum was a little more organized, I'd probably check out what they have. :-P

Let me start you off with this, then: a massive compilation of the various patches, fixes, and upgrades developed throughout the years.

Was FF9 ever released for PC? Cause if it was, I might just get FF7 through 9 for the PC. o_o

Nope, sorry.

for those suggesting the PC versions, they're glitchy as hell on modern computers thanks to architecture changes and the simple fact that no one's using w98 anymore. it's rare that you can play the whole way through without it taking a dump a few times, too.

Yes. But use the patches...

ff7, particularly, is just a poorly done port, which is why ff8 sold so poorly and then why they didn't make ff9 on pc.

This is true, which is why Qhimm forums sprang up in the first place. Just a couple patches and all of a sudden I was playing with life-sized models instead of those Lego-esque people running around. All that happened there was that every character who had a (correctly proportioned) battle model had said model show up in the field instead.

And that's just the beginning. The shoddy quality of the port has allowed these guys to rip the game's innards out. There's a save editor, the ability to put your own tracks in lieu of the crappy MIDI-based ones, etc. Just check the patch compilation I linked to above. It makes FF7 a MUCH better looking and sounding game than the PSX version. Just take a look.

I believe you have the right of it; however, it is never legal to rip the bios from the PSX (or pirate it from the webs) so playing PSX games on your PC is illegal no matter what you do. No consumer has ever been sued for it though, much like playing DVDs on your computer (which you also aren't allowed to do).

I believe you have the right of it; however, it is never legal to rip the bios from the PSX (or pirate it from the webs) so playing PSX games on your PC is illegal no matter what you do.

unless you can program an emulator that doesn't need a psx bios

I believe you have the right of it; however, it is never legal to rip the bios from the PSX (or pirate it from the webs) so playing PSX games on your PC is illegal no matter what you do. No consumer has ever been sued for it though, much like playing DVDs on your computer (which you also aren't allowed to do).

lots of misinformation running around in this thread.

it IS legal to back up your psx bios, as long as your unit is fully functional.

it IS legal to back up your games in .iso or other formats, as long as your unit is fully functional AND you still own the games.

it IS legal to download backups for your games in .iso or other formats, as long as your unit is fully functional AND you still own the exact same version of the game.

lots of misinformation running around in this thread.

it IS legal to back up your psx bios, as long as your unit is fully functional.

it IS legal to back up your games in .iso or other formats, as long as your unit is fully functional AND you still own the games.

it IS legal to download backups for your games in .iso or other formats, as long as your unit is fully functional AND you still own the exact same version of the game.

it is NOT legal to use the backed up bios and use it to play games on your PC though.. hurray DMCA?

are you certain? if it wasn't, then wouldn't all emulator programmers have to cease and desist?

Probably, but my thought is that it's not worth chasing. I mean, those games don't sell new anymore anyways, right? It's not like the company makes any money off of the games. Actually, it might increase business - someone emulates FFVII, decides that they absolutely love it, and then go out and buy Crisis Core.

My guess is that it's not worth chasing dudes who make emulators a) because it's a costly legal battle and there's no hope of dude living in Mom's basement being able to pay out hard-core, and B) it may actually drum up some business, and (this is only true with old gen games) the company isn't losing anything.

Probably, but my thought is that it's not worth chasing. I mean, those games don't sell new anymore anyways, right? It's not like the company makes any money off of the games. Actually, it might increase business - someone emulates FFVII, decides that they absolutely love it, and then go out and buy Crisis Core.

My guess is that it's not worth chasing dudes who make emulators a) because it's a costly legal battle and there's no hope of dude living in Mom's basement being able to pay out hard-core, and B) it may actually drum up some business, and (this is only true with old gen games) the company isn't losing anything.

no, i'm pretty sure that's wrong.

i'm pretty sure you're allowed to play backups of games on a pc, as long as you own the game and system and both are in playable condition.

no, i'm pretty sure that's wrong.

i'm pretty sure you're allowed to play backups of games on a pc, as long as you own the game and system and both are in playable condition.

You are allowed to backup your game, but I believe the bios/region chips/etc on the PSX are protected under the DMCA and you may not legally bypass them. Hence why said necessities are not packaged with the emulators, even if they are required for use (this is why BLEEM got sued, etc).

I love how most or all of this argument is uncited

on both sides

Fine, I'll dig through the sodding document and point to specific articles for you.

Here I assumed most people knew what the DMCA did in general.

EDIT (HERE):

SEC: 1201.E

`(2) No person shall manufacture, import, offer to the public, provide, or otherwise traffic in any technology, product, service, device, component, or part thereof, that--

`(A) is primarily designed or produced for the purpose of circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title;

`(B) has only limited commercially significant purpose or use other than to circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title; or

`© is marketed by that person or another acting in concert with that person with that person's knowledge for use in circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.

||

There are provisions for libraries or other congressionally approved archives, but none for the home consumer.

EDIT 2:

figured i'd throw in a link for anyone having trouble looking up the law

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c105:H.R.2281.ENR:

Hi

I own a legal PlayStation 1 (yes, it still works perfectly) and I have FF8 and FF9 discs as well as many others... I want to legally emulate these games that I own on a PSX emulator, which is also legal to use, because I have a PSX.

Can someone help me out? I think I tried to emulate FF8 a couple years ago during the slow parts of class but it froze at the second Laguna segment and I could never continue.

Why am I emulating? Because I don't like the bad quality of the PSX when you hook it to an HDTV, I'd rather play it on the computer and have it show in widescreen without any video defects. Thanks :-)

I almost considered buying a PS3 just to get these 3 games on there.. ff7, ff8, and ff9 which is coming out June 15th (my cat's birthday)

ePSXe is an awesome program. If you still have your discs you can pop them into your CD/DVD drive and emulate them from there. The only thing that sucks about emulating PlayStation (at least with ePSXe) is that you usually have to configure your video and audio drivers ad nauseam to get your games to work sans glitches. I finally got FF9 to run perfectly (very recently), but it was no easy task! It's just a lot of trial and error, but it's worth it.

Thread is still a good tool.

I think I'll try some FF7 upgrades for my PC version which I bought on disc. o_O But I do not like the change that makes their HP over 9999 or anything that changes the actual structure of the game per se. New models are good, maybe upgraded music but I wouldn't replace it with Advent Children music, no. Just higher quality versions of the originals. Get some MIDIs and slap EWQL on it, hah.

As for FF8 and FF9, I will probably emulate those with the discs through pSX. It just seems to be the easiest way without worrying about plugins. Though I might check out, I think someone said, Pete

s plugins *shrug* and see if it looks better. Then I'll decide from there. :-o

I also need to finish Legend of dragoon