KHII Sacred Moon

Kerodohi

Right now, this is basically a cover of 'Sacred Moon' from Kingdom Hearts II with a tiny bit of 'Destati' thrown in and a slight original bit. (It's very rough because it's my first attempt at remixing anything and I have no idea what I'm doing, haha.) Anyway.

I want to learn as much as I can, so - any constructive comments at all on this would be greatly appreciated!

stats.png

And here's the source for those not familiar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrZnHTtEQsE

Thank you! ^-^

• 3 months later...

I get that you're new and just using whatever you've got. But it doesn't sound good. Especially drums and guitar. Depending on the DAW and resources you've got, looking into soundfonts might be a good idea. They're free, many of them sound ok, and they're not a strain on computer power or memory (compared to the professional products out there). To me, what you've got now sounds like the computer's default midi sound. (oh and you need a soundfont player if you don't already have one)

On the overall production side, the track is quiet, and the piano is barely audible without turning the whole thing up way too much. The drums are terribly dry compared to the more atmospheric stuff you're also using, so the overall sound isn't cohesive. Not to mention the dull frequency balance and stuff like that, but you're not at a point where you should care much about that.

Performance-wise, it's stiff and dull. The whole thing sounds mechanical. I know, you're new to this, and it's not like humanization is the first thing on your mind while making music. :P Still, worth experimenting with velocities and timing, you might learn something. :D

The arrangement is conservative, which for a cover doesn't matter. It's not nearly as emotive as the original, which isn't really a surprise. Again, something worth experimenting with - can you make it sound happier, can you make it sound more aggressive, can you make it sound more sad, can you make it sound calmer, can you make it sound alarming?

No "this thing you did good, this thing I liked" comments, but some "this thing you should research and learn" comments for you. Go research, go learn, you'll improve. Listen and learn. Welcome to the wip board. :D