Tron Legacy

The Biznut

Listening to the soundtrack on Youtube, I was pretty disappointed. It just sounds like generic Hollywood over-epic music done with some electronic instrumentation. I was hoping for a movie full of four on the floor dance beats. Basically, Interstella 5555 Part 2. Derezzed is honestly the only track that is what I wanted.

End of the day though, this is a Hollywood film so the soundtrack was always going to sound like a Hollywood soundtrack, rather than thinking of it as a glorified music video for a new Daft Punk Album. For me judging it as a film soundtrack i like it, though I wouldnt judge it the same i would a Daft Punk album.

In their defense, though, Daft Punk aren't composers. Something entirely different from the Hollywood norm was never in the cards. Daft Punk has produced dance and electronica their whole career, and in some ways they have shaped what the norm has become for that genre. In addition to that, most of their influences are pop, and you have to take into account the fact that this is a major movie release with a lot of money involved. If Daft Punk tried something crazy, they'd most likely have their score rejected. This was a huge opportunity for them and they probably weren't in a position to be breaking Hollywood rules, especially when Hollywood is paying them.

I don't think they were chosen for the score on a whim. They're a well known act that brings the "electronica" label to a film that's whole appeal is that it takes place inside a computerized world and has a super sleek, electronic / neon production design. I'm not trying to say you were expecting something different from a typical Hollywood score with some electronic influences in the first place... I just wanted to point out that even if Daft Punk hadn't done the music, which is what everybody was so excited about, this score might have ended up sounding pretty similar just because of the forces at work.

Either way, there's certain tracks on this OST I really love. The arpeggios are particularly awesome. :)

I'm not digging it, mostly. Conforms too much to the modern tropes of Hollywood composing.

Today's film scores are basically Trance with the danceable elements taken out, and usually not even half as interesting. Repeating stacatto/arpeggio patterns all over the place.

Thank you.

Nothing beats Wendy Carlos' original score for the first movie.

Just came back from seeing the midnight premiere.

It was visually spectacular, and Olivia Wilde was adorable... but that's about it.

Plot and musical score were very underwhelming to me. Judging from the score, it sounds like Daft Punk had very little involvement. Their cameo was pretty cool, though.

Didn't wow me nearly as much as the original TRON.

I saw it, and a couple of things about the character Tron bugged me.

1) His involvement felt so minimal. They could have pretty much just put some other character in and it would have been exactly the same.

2) SPOILER When Tron suddenly turned good, it felt utterly convenient without any cause pretty much. My thoughts were just like "Oh look, the only way they can get out of this is if Tron does something. Oh look, he is good suddenly. If they had shown throughout the film that Tron was fighting back against his... redness, then it might have made more sense. But it was just so dang convenient for him to suddenly change like that. Perhaps 'contrived' is a better word for it.

Saw it at the IMAX today. I didn't think the movie was that bad. Visually amazing, and the story wasn't so bad that its disappointing. This opinion is probably based off of the fact that I haven't seen the first one, and honestly, I wouldn't want to see the original that much after seein this one anyway.

I'm glad that I don't have nostalgia to completely trash, or even mildly diss what was actually a good movie.

Saw it at the IMAX today. I didn't think the movie was that bad. Visually amazing, and the story wasn't so bad that its disappointing. This opinion is probably based off of the fact that I haven't seen the first one, and honestly, I wouldn't want to see the original that much after seein this one anyway.

I'm glad that I don't have nostalgia to completely trash, or even mildly diss what was actually a good movie.

I love the first film, "warts and all", and was thoroughly entertained by this one. One of my favorite movies this year. Could it have been better? Honestly, and realistically, what film couldn't use improvement?

What surprised me most was that Harrison Ford didn't make a cameo. Mark Hamill was great, Carrie Fisher's hair was different but Obi Wan was awesome!

Seriously...I saw Tron Legacy last night and it was SO heavy with Star Wars influences that I'm calling it Star Wars 7. We had Darth Vader addressing the Storm Troopers, the destruction of the Death Star, Luke flying the x-wing fighter, the power of the Force being used to save humanity...quite a few other references, too. Sam is really a Han Solo/Luke amalgamation, but you get the idea. I wasn't looking for all this, it just hit me as I was watching. My son (17) claims the movie is an homage to the '80s but I'm not buying it. LOL.

I saw it, and a couple of things about the character Tron bugged me.

1) His involvement felt so minimal. They could have pretty much just put some other character in and it would have been exactly the same.

2) SPOILER When Tron suddenly turned good, it felt utterly convenient without any cause pretty much. My thoughts were just like "Oh look, the only way they can get out of this is if Tron does something. Oh look, he is good suddenly. If they had shown throughout the film that Tron was fighting back against his... redness, then it might have made more sense. But it was just so dang convenient for him to suddenly change like that. Perhaps 'contrived' is a better word for it.

Tron really wasn't in the movie. He was minimal.

I'd have sex with Qorra, but I am afraid our kids would be a Laptop or a TI-83.

YUK YUK YUK YUK YUK YUK.

Movie was not that good. Needed more story and less David Bowie. Though I actually liked David Bowie compared to the CLU guy.

http://www.horrorphile.net/images/tron-legacy-michael-sheen-and-garrett-hedlund1.jpg

David Bowie.

That was Michael Sheen. Davie Bowie would've been too distracting with a light up crotch.

Anyway, I liked the movie. I thought Daft Punk did a great job with the score. I had seen the original years and years ago (ON BETA!), so I had the familiarity with the material, but not enough that I couldn't judge this on it's own merits. I do want to watch the original again to connect some dots, but, otherwise, it was a fantastic movie. Highly recommended.