Tron Legacy

The Biznut

I saw it, and a couple of things about the character Tron bugged me.

1) His involvement felt so minimal. They could have pretty much just put some other character in and it would have been exactly the same.

2) SPOILER When Tron suddenly turned good, it felt utterly convenient without any cause pretty much. My thoughts were just like "Oh look, the only way they can get out of this is if Tron does something. Oh look, he is good suddenly. If they had shown throughout the film that Tron was fighting back against his... redness, then it might have made more sense. But it was just so dang convenient for him to suddenly change like that. Perhaps 'contrived' is a better word for it.

the whole sudden bit at the end kind of makes sense in light of Kevin Flynn's techojesus powers

I saw it, and a couple of things about the character Tron bugged me.

1) His involvement felt so minimal. They could have pretty much just put some other character in and it would have been exactly the same.

2) SPOILER When Tron suddenly turned good, it felt utterly convenient without any cause pretty much. My thoughts were just like "Oh look, the only way they can get out of this is if Tron does something. Oh look, he is good suddenly. If they had shown throughout the film that Tron was fighting back against his... redness, then it might have made more sense. But it was just so dang convenient for him to suddenly change like that. Perhaps 'contrived' is a better word for it.

I was under the impression that Tron was reprogrammed or "re-purposed" by Clu, and that Tron remembered his original purpose after Kevin confronted him in the aerial battle.

What surprised me most was that Harrison Ford didn't make a cameo. Mark Hamill was great, Carrie Fisher's hair was different but Obi Wan was awesome!

Seriously...I saw Tron Legacy last night and it was SO heavy with Star Wars influences that I'm calling it Star Wars 7. We had Darth Vader addressing the Storm Troopers, the destruction of the Death Star, Luke flying the x-wing fighter, the power of the Force being used to save humanity...quite a few other references, too. Sam is really a Han Solo/Luke amalgamation, but you get the idea. I wasn't looking for all this, it just hit me as I was watching. My son (17) claims the movie is an homage to the '80s but I'm not buying it. LOL.

Thanks, I thought I was the only one who thought that.

If you're a crazy fan who is strict with the plot and stuff like that then you might not like the movie so much;

if you just want a good movie to watch with some friends I think it's a great choice;

but if you're bored and you haven't been amazed lately then I think this is a great movie to check out.

The music was Epic in its truest sense (not the overused term. Daft Punk literally did an epic job with the music), the storyline was interesting while not being too much of a mindfuck, and the visuals were jaw-dropping. I think the person next to me thought I was about to barf or something because my jaw was gaping for most of the movie.

8/10... simply because I don't know if the Star Wars similarities were an homage or a coincidence. probably the former.

Tron Legacy, for me, did everything that i expected it to and more. I had watched the original Tron for the first time two days before i went to see Legacy and i just love how it builds upon the universe in the digital world.

The first film took place in the digital world but its focus was all about Flynn trying to get some files to prove he created the games that Ed Dillinger had stolen from him.

Tron Legacy takes us back to that digital world and expands on that world itself, giving us more insight in to what Flynn had wanted to do with the place and what his goals were after the first Tron.

For some reason, people are saying the story itself was weak but i honestly can't see it. I've seen weaker storylines in films and i can't say Tron Legacy is one of them. Ok, so the whole "fathers missing, next of kin goes searching for them" scenario has been done before but Tron really feels different in the way it executes that cliche, maybe it's because of the world it's set in.

Also, i really appreciated the casting for this and the pace in which the story ran felt nice and easy, especially if you have the first Tron movie fresh in your mind before seeing this one.

Also, this must be the SEGA fan in me calling, but the style of the movie visually really reminded me of Phantasy Star Online in some ways. Must have been the neon lights and the suits they wore, lol.

And needless to say but Daft Punk are awesome.

Tron Legacy is a wicked film and i honestly hope it does well, it's become one of my favourite films of all time.

most people's problem with the story is that it's essentially a monomyth, and while it's not really a cliche, star wars turned it into one and therefore people think the plot is weak because they've seen many of the conventions before.

this bugs me greatly because I have yet to see a plot archetype more compelling visually than the hero's journey (monomyth), and Tron's plot is a very well done take on this concept.

most people's problem with the story is that it's essentially a monomyth, and while it's not really a cliche, star wars turned it into one and therefore people think the plot is weak because they've seen many of the conventions before.

this bugs me greatly because I have yet to see a plot archetype more compelling visually than the hero's journey (monomyth), and Tron's plot is a very well done take on this concept.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I may take my father in law to see it tonight, he saw the original in theaters!!!

Also it's the plot of every video game ever.

Even Tetris.

...ESPECIALLY Tetris.

On topic: I haven't seen the movie yet, but I plan to. So is the Inception-style music a big part of the soundtrack, or is it mostly for the trailers? And same question again, but replace "Inception-style" with "Daft Punk style"...?

On topic: I haven't seen the movie yet, but I plan to. So is the Inception-style music a big part of the soundtrack, or is it mostly for the trailers? And same question again, but replace "Inception-style" with "Daft Punk style"...?

All of the trailer music is included in the film in some form. The more "Daft Punk-style" music occurs in the nightclub scenes, and the more "Inception-style" music occurs in battle scenes. There's also softer music in expository scenes, and so on.

I wasn't aprticularly impressed by the soundtrack either, it was good and all but it wasn't nearly as good as people make it out to be, and in terms of "normal musicians making film scores" I'd say Trent Reznor (and Atticus Ross) doing The Social Network was way more impressive, not to mention Beck's work on Scott Pilgrim.

As for the movie it was pretty decent, but honestly I shouldn't have enjoyed it as much as I did. I had no idea what was going on plot-wise and the fight scenes were just ok, yet I still found myself enjoying it. Typical blockbuster with a nerd tint to it.

I enjoyed the movie a lot more than I thought I was going to. First half in, I couldn't stand the cheese, the fake techno-jargon, and so on but once he got into the grid, it turned awesome. I still can't stand the plot holes and that chick's role in changing humanity which made no sense to me, but overall I really enjoyed it and loved it whenever Jeff Bridges was basically channeling The Dude.

I'm listening to the soundtrack again after watching the film a second time, and I really appreciate the subtle nuances Daft Punk put into the writing relative to the scenes. For example, the music when Sam meets Gem in he street contains elements from the earlier armory scene (the place he met her the first time). Cool stuff.