E3 2010: Microsoft

Brandon Strader

Hi. I came to discuss the new developments coming out of Microsoft from E3. If you're looking for the E3 Sony or Nintendo thread, you should make it. :-P

Rumor-Project-Natal-Could-Be-Renamed-Kinect.gif

What we know:

The former Project Natal is now known as Kinect.

A newly re-designed Xbox360 with a 250gb hard drive. Size of system unknown.

Built-in WiFi

Kinect games:

Kinectimals

Joy Ride

Kinect Sports (lol its like wii sports)

Dance Central

Kinect Adventures

I haven't heard much about Milo apart from the fact that it exists and is made by Lionhead.

Cirque du Solei performing now with Kinect, to be broadcast later on Nickelodeon and MTV. :-(

New information from my email:

SPIKE TV, home to the SPIKE Video Game Awards, the biggest night of the year for the gaming industry, will be the exclusive broadcast home for the Xbox 360 E3 Media Briefing. Set to air live and commercial-free in high-definition on Monday, June 14, at 1:30 P.M. ET, the Xbox 360 Media Briefing is a blockbuster event where the future of the Xbox 360 system is revealed.

The World Premiere Project Natal for Xbox 360 experience, as imagined by Cirque du Soleil airs commercial-free on MTV, Tuesday, June 15 at 3:30 P.M. ET, and on Nick at Nite, mtvU, MTV Hits, and Logo, Tuesday, June 15, at 9 P.M. ET.

500x_kinfinal.jpg

Kinect Final Form

Here's hoping MS finally gets this RRoD thing beaten with their new system. All the talk about the Jasper chip and the systems are still dropping at an unsettling rate. I want one, but I'm not picking one up until they finally get a handle on the problem. I'd like to at least feel reasonably confident that my new system will last longer than it's warranty.

Oh, and...

SPIKE TV, home to the SPIKE Video Game Awards, the biggest night of the year for the gaming industry...

What? Whoever wrote that in your e-mail had to have been forced to do so. That's like calling the Razzies the biggest night for the movie industry :lol:

Here's hoping MS finally gets this RRoD thing beaten with their new system. All the talk about the Jasper chip and the systems are still dropping at an unsettling rate. I want one, but I'm not picking one up until they finally get a handle on the problem. I'd like to at least feel reasonably confident that my new system will last longer than it's warranty.

Oh, and...

What? Whoever wrote that in your e-mail had to have been forced to do so. That's like calling the Razzies the biggest night for the movie industry :lol:

I got one of the 'new' Elites in September 2008 and it hasn't had a single hiccup in almost 2 years. Maybe I was lucky, then again there's a lot of people who don't take proper care of their stuff.

And that line was in a link off of an official Xbox email. :P I dunno who wrote it. I agree though, I never considered SpikeTV to be a revolutionary gaming channel.

I don't think I'm particularly interested in Kinect just yet, although I DO like the new 360 model. The built-in WiFi sounds great, although knowing MS they might try to gouge the price using the new functionality as an excuse. Still, if the system doesn't generate as much heat/noise as a 747 and isn't as expensive, then I might just bite sometime down the road.

And has anyone noticed that publishers/the big 3 have been blowing their loads a bit too early for the actual show? Either they've got some serious surprises planned for the actual conferences, or this is going to be a pretty mundane E3.

Either way, what a great week. E3 AND the world cup at the same time. Love it.

I don't think I'm particularly interested in Kinect just yet, although I DO like the new 360 model. The built-in WiFi sounds great, although knowing MS they might try to gouge the price using the new functionality as an excuse. Still, if the system doesn't generate as much heat/noise as a 747 and isn't as expensive, then I might just bite sometime down the road.

And has anyone noticed that publishers/the big 3 have been blowing their loads a bit too early for the actual show? Either they've got some serious surprises planned for the actual conferences, or this is going to be a pretty mundane E3.

Either way, what a great week. E3 AND the world cup at the same time. Love it.

I laugh at the mere fact Microsoft hired Cirque de Sole to perform for Kinect, as if that will help sell it.

Got to cater to the gray-beards as well as the halo-kiddies right? :lol:

And people called Nintendo gay...:roll:

Well, look, I"m not the type that says that game companies should only cater to the ones that they think matter (the hardcore think that way). I think companies should learn to grow and expand and include other people in gaming. The market is not going to be as strong I think in the next year, or for a while (Recession is still going on, things will probably get worse before better).

I wonder if journalists there for the thing realize they were being used for a silly promo airing on MTV and Nickelodeon tonight. Until I can play it, I don't see this being that great. Of course, game journalists and the marketers are in love with this thing and the spectacle over it.

Are you guys seriously ragging on Cirque du Soleil?

Is DarkeSword gonna hafta ban a bitch?

Not so much on Cirque du Soliel, but the reasoning behind using them arbitrarily. Why not get some Wushu performers while they're at it?

In any rate...

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/06/natal-outed-as-kinect-while-360-slim-rumor-gains-speed.ars

USA Today revealed this list of Kinect games:

* Kinectimals: A virtual 'big cat' trainer that lets you train and play with 20 different feline members of the animal kingdom, including tigers, lions and cheetah.

* Kinect Sports: Microsoft's answer to Wii Sports, Kinect Sports features table tennis, boxing, bowling, soccer, beach volleyball, and track and field; all controlled using your body.

* Joyride: This one looks to be a kart-style racer—grip your hands on an imaginary steering wheel and use your foot for the gas and brakes.

* Kinect Adventures: This game combines a river raft simulator (recently seen on Youtube) and obstacle course for up to four players. Rafting works in pairs, with players working together and moving in the same direction to steer. Jumping will also grant access to secret areas.

* Dance Central: Developed by MTV games, this is a motion-controlled dance-off.

* Disney and Lucasarts have also announced that classic Disney and Star Wars characters will be appearing in upcoming Kinect games.

Edit*

is much better than this imo...

That new 360 model sounds and looks appealing. I can't really say that about Kinect. Nor can I really see Kinect having a huge appeal like the Wii does, especially at that price. D: Anyways, just under 4 hours until the press conference. Lets see some sick games M$.

Really though, I am more excited for Nintendo's show than anything.

cdsbigmystere.jpg

Hmm... Now this is rather interesting...

Cirque du Soleil was in the discussion almost from the start, Greenberg said. Meetings and discussions inevitably brought up Le Cirque, or a Cirque-like performance in concept. "Don Mattrick [the head of Microsoft's interactive entertainment division] suggested we reach out to them," Greenberg said. "So we invited them and their top creative and technical teams to Seattle about five months ago."

Now, Microsoft is not a chicken-feed brand, but Cirque du Soleil does refuse plenty of corporate gigs, regardless of size, Greenberg noted. "They get approached by thousands of companies and generally say no to all of them," he said. "They told us, ‘We don't play video games, we're a brand about human performance.' We said, ‘Come spend a day with us, we'll show you what this is, we'll have you spend time with our top creators."

Greenberg said le Cirque's representatives "were blown away. They immediately went off into massive brainstorming mode." The circus took Natal technology back to Montreal, put together a concept, and returned to present it to the senior leadership. "In what was a four-month process, they built an event that's just massive in scale." Greenberg said.

Looks like M$ did something right; enough so that it was awesome enough for CdS to do something. Wonder what the hell they're going to do with it...

Or maybe one of the richest companies on the planet handed them a big enough check to get them to perform.

You know, because two businesses couldn't possibly work out a deal. Cirque du Soleil is just as much about money as every other performing group. If they weren't, then the tickets to their shows wouldn't be so damn much.

That entire quote is pretty much a corporate soundbite. I'd take it with several grains of salt.

Cirque du Soleil is just as much about money as every other performing group. If they weren't, then the tickets to their shows wouldn't be so damn much.

That entire quote is pretty much a corporate soundbite. I'd take it with several grains of salt.

Curiously how much do they often go for? also I agree with your assessment of it being nothing more than a soundbite.

Also it seems that M$'s pet project will be released around November.

For my area, they start at $40. That's for one child. They go up from there. I've seen upwards of $120. Not scalpers, this is the official price set by the venue.

The Video Games Live and Walking With Dinosaurs tickets weren't that much. Hell, for the price of one adult Cirque du Soleil ticket, you can go buy three of their DVDs. Or two new games for your system of choice. Or one hell of a nice dinner for two.