Final Fantasy VII: Aerith's Theme Orchestral Transcription/Arrangement

Since there aren't any scores publicly available and I love this piece so much, I transcribed/arranged/conducted Aerith's Theme for symphony orchestra for my school orchestration final project.

It was our first and only run-through so don't expect a concert. And because of our project guidelines there is no piano or harp, sorry :P

It's very good! You feel like PMing me the score so I can see some of how you orchestrated it? :)

Just a tip for your conducting - try not to get so lost in the score. Especially in the beginning, you seemed pretty tunnel-visioned on the score, rather than the orchestra, so you lost them a little bit early on. You fixed it in the latter half, though.

Also, tell douchebag in the glasses next to the camera to quit dicking around and pay attention.

It's very good! You feel like PMing me the score so I can see some of how you orchestrated it? :)

Just a tip for your conducting - try not to get so lost in the score. Especially in the

beginning, you seemed pretty tunnel-visioned on the score, rather than the orchestra,

so you lost them a little bit early on. You fixed it in the latter half, though.

Also, tell douchebag in the glasses next to the camera to quit dicking around and pay

attention.

Thanks!

Sorry, I'm actually kind of hesitant in posting the score anywhere on the web right now

because I may want to use it for a resume, please don't take it personally :P

Haha, I was pretty nervous conducting, it was my second time, in fact my first time with

large orchestra. Thanks for the feedback though, I'm probably going to take conducting

lessons this summer.

He's actually not a "douchebag" in person, trust me haha

Mmm... good work with this one. I liked the direction you took it, there, in the beginning - static harmonies with the theme over it. The performance isn't bad, really, considering they were just doing it on the spot, basically.

It's not easy to get a performance of these things, so I'm glad you have a recording of it all. I can't quite get through all of it, this time, but when I get some time I'm certainly going to give you some more feedback on the orchestration.

I'll be back.

So.... this is pretty much identical to Hamaguchi's arrangement of Aeris's theme minus the harp. If you did it by ear, then good job, because the orchestration is good.

Thanks! Yes, this is a transcription done by ear, although towards the middle I changed the orchestration a little bit. Square Enix never released the orchestral score to the public so I think it'll be one of my goals this summer to transcribe a couple of the Hamaguchi orchestrations. I'm currently working on the Final Fantasy VII Main Theme.

Nice! Hamaguchi is pretty hit or miss for me, but some of his arrangements that I really like are The Oath, Ending Theme (FFVIII), Fithos Lusec Weecos Vinosec, and Liberi Fatali would probably have to be my all time favorite.

Nice! Hamaguchi is pretty hit or miss for me, but some of his arrangements that I really like are The Oath, Ending Theme (FFVIII), Fithos Lusec Weecos Vinosec, and Liberi Fatali would probably have to be my all time favorite.

I think Hamaguchi is as great as Uematsu himself. I'm just sad that he doesn't get as much credit for his hard work. Uematsu, I believe is an awesome composer but when it comes to orchestration, he isn't as strong.

I like Liberi Fatali, Don't Be Afraid, Fisherman's Horizon, Balamb Garden, Eyes On Me, Love Grows, The Oath, FFVIII Ending Theme, FFVII Main Theme, Opening-Bombing Mission, Aerith's Theme, Cloud Smiles, and Theme of Love (FFIV). The FFVII Piano Collections is also great, 3 tracks directly used in Advent Children.

• 7 months later...

Nice work! Loved the reaction at the end, they really enjoyed playing your arrangement and it must have been a memorable moment for you. I've been wanting to do a wind ensemble arrangement of this song for my band but it'd feel really empty without the strings.

Would definitely like to hear the FFVII Main Theme if you ever get around to finishing it and having it performed.

• 4 weeks later...
Nice work! Loved the reaction at the end, they really enjoyed playing your arrangement and it must have been a memorable moment for you. I've been wanting to do a wind ensemble arrangement of this song for my band but it'd feel really empty without the strings.

Would definitely like to hear the FFVII Main Theme if you ever get around to finishing it and having it performed.

Haha, thanks! Yeah it was definitely a memorable moment. I haven't really had time for the main theme, but I hope to get to it by the summer. I've been writing a lot for orchestra lately :P